N/A Build Idea

BoyRicer

Reaction score
I have an 01 that has 185xxx miles on her. She has been well kept for the 10 years but i know her time will be coming to an end soon. So i got the idea to buy another f23 engine and build it up. I want to raise the compression ratio to 10-11:1. Also if i switch from an a4 to a1 will i need to swap ecu's? If anyone can inform me of what pistons will increase the compression ratio to a reasonable number that will run off of mid grade gas it would be greatly appreciated. I have read endless pages of engine build but have obtain few answers to some of my questions. Thank You in Advance for your answers

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
it says he's from new york yo.

if you want 11:1 pistons then buy 11:1 pistons. check out Raceeng.com they've got pretty decent prices. mid grade gas and high compression don't usually go together. do your research homie.

BoyRicer

Reaction score
thanks for the quick response. So that will be another part i shall need to add to the list. Also if i get my camshaft regrinded to a level 1 or lvl 1.2 by bisimoto will that mean the ecu will need to be reflashed to accept the changes in intake and exhaust?

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
it says he's from new york yo.

if you want 11:1 pistons then buy 11:1 pistons. check out Raceeng.com they've got pretty decent prices. mid grade gas and high compression don't usually go together. do your research homie.

BoyRicer

Reaction score
so if i went with a 10:1 cr would mid grade gas work better? From what i read the higher the cr the higher the octane of gas will be needed.

BoyRicer

Reaction score
i just checked out raceeng.com and all they seem to have is low cr pistons. I think their site offer boosting pistons for our cars not ones that are for high cr n/a builds. But thanks for the link

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Hey man, it's true when you change your A4 to an A1, you also need the A1 ECU. California-issued setups suck.

You can do a high compression engine build, but you will need to find the proper pistons. You don't need to go through a site like RaceEng, you can actually call up manufacturers such as CP, Golden Eagle, Arias, JE, Wiseco, or Bisimoto and get pistons made to spec, or find the closest match in compression and bore size. That's research right there that you need to do. I also recommend sleeving your block to handle that pressure and opening up your head as much as you can to increase N/A flow. Search for some builds done on this site in the past.. AFAccord, NASOHC, and others.

If you get a camshaft regrind done by Bisimoto, yes you will definitely need to be running some type of engine management like AEM EMS, Hondata S300, or a chipped P28. Then, when you get your chosen setup tuned, you can make everything work the way it needs to.

BoyRicer

Reaction score
so if i keep the stock camshaft i wouldnt need a new ecu? I also found some f22 heads* that were over sized to 86mm would those work in our f23's?

*I meant pistons not the head.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back