Need A/C help, it's hot as balls.

Bax

Reaction score
Hi guys. Today the temp was "95*, feels like 103*" so I decided to try to figure out what is going on with my ac. First of all, let me post pics of the part I think is acting up. I think it's the air compressor right? :thinking:
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Video:

Let me start off by saying when I am driving, the A/C is cold, but when I'm at a stop it will do that ^^^ and the engine will struggle everytime. Sometimes it will last a few seconds before cutting off like in the video, and the air will be cold for that few seconds, then hot again once it cuts off. I thought it may have something to do with the A/C fans because of it being hot while at a stop only, but both fans come on just fine with no problem, but they only come on when that (compressor?) is trying to come on. Sometimes, like once every 15 failed attempts of grabbing, it will stay on for a minute or two, though. Not even close enough though to give me enough cold air. I'm a noob at A/C stuff, there's a clutch in the compressor right? could it be slipping when it tries to engage?

I don't understand how if it's doing that the A/C is always cold when I'm driving. :thinking:

I need your help! I've been dealing with this for a few months now, but it's swamp sack time and I can't take this heat anymore. Drive thrus and high traffic are almost unbearable in mid-day heat. :skurred:

Thank you,
Tyler.

Last edited:

Jefe02

Reaction score
I feel your pain man I was stuck in traffic for two hours yesterday sweating my balls off. Your video actually helped me out, I think my compressor is bad because mine doesnt even move at all. I'm not really sure whats going on with yours as I dont know much about AC systems.

Bax

Reaction score
I feel your pain man I was stuck in traffic for two hours yesterday sweating my balls off. Your video actually helped me out, I think my compressor is bad because mine doesnt even move at all. I'm not really sure whats going on with yours as I dont know much about AC systems.

Dude it's so hot, haha. And when it acts up it doesn't help at all blowing hot *** air in my face lol.

I just got irritated and stood in the yard with my hood up staring at the engine bay looking to see something that caught my eye. I noticed when I turned the A/C on, the fans would only cut on for a second or 2, while the engine would bog down. Then I noticed that part of the (thinking it's the compressor? not 100% sure yet) would catch and bog the engine down. I know the engine struggles for a second when the compressor first kicks on due to that extra load, but mine just cuts on and off. Its extremely annoying especially trying to leave a stop in 1st gear because it is almost impossible to keep a smooth ride. It just jerks around trying to cut on and off.

Jefe02

Reaction score
Yea Ive been looking to trying to notice something as well but I really just don't know what to look for but after watching your video I think it might be my compressor because that part on the outside doesn't move at all.

Bax

Reaction score
Do your radiator fans come on with the A/C turned on?
The fans come on more with the a/c turned on right, to bring air through and cool the (freon? i'm such an a/c noob haha) whatever it is? My fans try to come on like I said when that compressor is struggling to come on, but only then. Kind of like the fans are waiting for the compressor to be on so they can be on, too, if that makes sense. That's why I ask.

Jefe02

Reaction score
My fans seem to always be on. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with getting a new radiator. This started after my new motor was put in so I have no idea. The guy that did my swap is going to look at it and fix it next week but it just sucks in the meantime.

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
I dont have AC.:hide:

But no really,my AC compressor died this winter apparently,took it to work yesterday and charged the AC but still blows hot air. But yeah it is hot as crap.

Bax

Reaction score
Since you have the 8ga as your daily, you just going to rip out the a/c stuff Monty? haha

Could it be possible that it's doing this because it's low on freon? :thinking: Would that make it cut on and off like that?

001Stunna

Reaction score
Tyler, i'd say first start by measuring how much gas is in the system. You can pick up a gauge style one from most stores, or pick it up as part of a refill kit and keep the refill bottles aside as you might need them.
The gauge/hose looks like this
0146123_1

Once you have the gauge, turn the A/C to on, fan on max, and leave windows or doors open. You plug it in the low port(has a blue cap on our cars i believe) and make sure it actually clicks on. Try and do it in the first/second try as every time you push down you are letting out a bit of gas from the valve. Once plugged in the gauge should read about 30-40psi. If less then 30 you're low on gas, if more then 40 you're overcharged and could be cause why the compressor is cycling in/out.

If you're ok for pressure, then it'd be time to look at other things such as bad compressor? car not having enough power to run the compressor at idle...hence possibly a bad alternator?

As far as i know though, the compressor is meant to go in/out and no compressor will stay on forever.

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
I was thinkingxactly what Kevin said after I got up this morning. It might be your alternator. So much crap relays on our alternators!

Back