Need an opinion

capsidx

Reaction score
So, as I drive around town and get dusted by dodge darts and mustangs I have to say i'm really torn on what to do. I have the f23a-4 with an auto transmission. Currently the car has nothing more than a cold air intake and a clean interior. I really want to give this car more power and I know it wont run 10's at the track. It currently has two different sets of wheels and a cracked front bumper thats fixed with a drifters stitch AKA zipties. So with the questions I just want you to keep in mind that I truly love my car and went through a lot of time and effort to get it up and running properly and roadworthy. So the questions I have are these. Should I do a manual transmission swap and go from there? Would it be worth the trouble or should I buy one thats manual. Keep in mind I had to pay about 400 to register this car in Florida which is almost enough for a transmission itself. So should I swap the transmission, take my time to turbo it right? Also, should I work on the cosmetic stuff first or the performance. Sorry for the grammatical errors, I had a long day at work. So while you guys are posting i'm going to clean the bird sh of my car that happened today to add insult to injury.:Jedi:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's the real question -

How mechanically inclined are you? Do you have the time, space, tools, skills, etc necessary to do a manual swap? Do you have an extra ride if you can't finish the swap in a few days?

Ask yourself these questions, then go from there. I'm not trying to question your skill level, just your mental preparedness.

capsidx

Reaction score
I completely understand your response. Im not that fly off the handle lol. So as far as skill level goes Im confident in my ability to swap it out. I cant open it up and replace gears and retainers but Im confident in my ability (and the write up on 6ga lol). As far as having another ride I dont have one at the moment but I figured that if I couldnt get it over a weekend I wouldnt cut any harnesses or cables so I could put the AT back if need be as a back up. I guess I posted out of hopelessness as I feel like I have the slowest car on earth. I know performance isnt everything but I just wanted a little more. Ive been doing research and it seems the AT in the 6ga isnt all that good and prone to failing. It's my understanding that adding boost would further magnify this achilles heel, or in this case achilles transmisson. Based on my research as im still a little noobish to boosting, the AT trans can handle boost with a transmission cooler but I shouldnt expect to add much boost. I know every motor varies and from what I understand I should be safe on my motor (2.3 ULEV) up to about 6 PSI. I havent really seen any bolt ons or anything of the sort to get more power from this motor. I know I went on a tangent but i'm trying to provide the best insight a to my mindset.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Alright,

Let's forget the turbocharging for now. These accords will never be fast in a straight line, they're too heavy. Figure out what you want it to be fast at or good at, and go from there.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Bolt-ons do nothing for these cars. So yea either swap to manual and then go FI, or pick yourself up another car. If you truly love your Accord then I guess you already know the answer. :) I don't know if you have emissions down there but that's something else to keep in mind when swapping.

Or save for something that's faster from the get-go, especially if you ever feel jealous of other people driving around quicker cars. But if you love your car and plan to keep it for a long while, the swap and other work might be worth it.

capsidx

Reaction score
I mean would it make more sense to get a hatch with an h22 or k20 over this car? I do love my accord to the fullest. It's been absolutely bulletproof, even when I forget to put something back it does its best to run. The original plan was to make this car really fast and look good. I then realized there isnt much made for this car to make it fast even though it seems to be able to handle it. SO then it came down to where im at now. Can I make it a somewhat faster while making it look good? It seems the answer is you can make it look good but not fast. But is that based on my current trans/motor configuration or based on all 6ga configs. FYI we have no inspection or emissions down here lol

Last edited:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can definitely make it look good and handle well. The go fast part is all dependent on how far you want to take it.

capsidx

Reaction score
So let's the current 0-60 is a groundbreaking 7 seconds. What would my options be in bringing that down to about 5 to 4 or somewhere in that area. I'm not expecting much, just a little as I've said. Tnere isn't much I can think of but maybe you can point me in the right direction? Please? Lol

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Your 4cyl auto will take longer than 7 seconds, sorry. ;) Nitrous would be the easiest and cheapest way to improve your acceleration, but not sure if even a stock 4cyl and 5MT can handle that.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
It would be cheaper to buy an already faster car. Accords in the USA were never meant to be sports cars. I drove a new Nissan Rogue that would dust my f23a 5sp daily. Now my car will roast most cars in handling.

If you want speed find a different platform to start.

Back