New Honda ATF-DW1

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Congrats Chris!!

Hey thanks Alan.

Fair enough. haha

It's a good point though, I always changed it right when I got the car, but since I live in an apartment it can be a hassle.

i hate to burst your bubble, and to judge your wife, but she's marrying you for your car...

i would if i was her.

lol, you're probably right. I'll make sure I keep it in my name only...good thing is it will be a manual soon, which she doesn't know how to drive. haha

J30MAN

Reaction score
Will be picking up 3 quarts of DW-1 or Z1 sometime next week and will be changing the fluid once again since December. More than likely i will report back Easter weekend.

J30MAN

Reaction score
Changing my engine oil and tranny fluid with DW-1 tomorrow afternoon. Ill report back wednesday with my opinion on the DW-1.

cirsurvive711

Reaction score
bumping this thread.. any feedback yet on the DW-1?

I'm due for another drain/refill soon AND i'm slipping more often/rougher shifts but still not sure if I should get the Z1 or DW1...

ugh

markj

Reaction score
Did two drain and fills on my 2000 Odyssey last month using DW-1. Last time the fluid had ever been touched was at 130,000 miles and way too long ago, and when I changed it I was at... I think like 220,000, around there. Since 160,000, the trans had developed a sort of "gritty" whining noise at constant speeds, mostly heard around 45. Whining never led to any problems and persists to this day with no change.

I dropped the fluid, filled back up, drove a few miles on the highway, and repeated once more. Instantly noticed the 1-2 shift more. There's a sort of lurch during the shift, like when you drive through a really heavy but small puddle of water going fast. Idk that's the only way I can describe it lol. Otherwise, shifting is pretty much the same. Once warm, the lurch isn't as strong. Shifts are a little more, I guess "assuring". Under more throttle, they're faster. No change in noise or fuel economy that I can see and the Ody runs great :)

markj

Reaction score
Did two drain and fills in one day on my 2000 Odyssey last month, using DW-1. Car was at 220,000 when I changed the fluid which hadn't been touched touched since the first time ever at 130,000 way too many years ago. Drained, filled, drove a few highway miles, then repeated once more. I noticed the 1-2 shift is much firmer, not slippy at all, but a quick kind of head-bobbing shift if you get what I mean. Overall, trans shifts a little quicker and is more assuring. It was never really slipping and definitely never flaring, ever. Also has had an aftermarket cooler on it since new. Started making a gritty whining noise around 45 MPH at like 160,000 miles a few years ago and the noise still persists - no change and seemingly no effect on shift quality.

Also did an entire flush on my 1991 Accord last summer at 215,000 miles, via the trans fluid cooler line, using DW-1. It was driving like the typical Accord 4-speed, harsh 1-2 shift, wasn't slipping unless under real heavy load, sometimes mushy shifting. After the flush, shifts were just as solid but a bit smoother, less slipping up big hills and under heavy load, and I was getting about 2 miles per gallon better than before. Car is now at 221,000 miles and drives the same way. Even with new engine mounts, still bangs into reverse and a little hard into drive but they all do that. I don't see any negative effects at all.

NGP_UA5

Reaction score
Have it in the TL and nothing but good things to say.

It fixed my 1-2 shudder.

Back