New Honda Struts creak excessively

james'99

Reaction score
Approxomiately 900mi ago, I installed new front struts, fully loaded from Majestic Honda. The passenger, no problems. The driver, excessive creaking from 0 to ~5mph and at 0 on the brake. I can even feel what I hear in the clutch and brake pedal ever so slightly. The excessive cold is when I really notice it. 0 degrees Fahrenheit last night. Everything is torqued to spec and all else seems to be in order. Just find this really odd. Any assistance is appreciated. Next week, I will probably call and request a new one from Majestic Honda. I don't think this is proper.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
sounds like you might have a bushing slipping, two choices:

1-'Chassis Ear'
almost any shop should have one, working on a radioshack *hack*, i wish bluetooth for my phone were around...
stl-06600lg.JPG

2-spray it
Look under car, find any suspicious bushings, SPRAY WITH LUBE!!!!
test. Gone?
pick & continue until you find out which bushing
not exactly *efficient* but it will find the right thing...

Oh, do all this AFTER making sure EVERY SINGLE BOLT IS TIGHT!!

james'99

Reaction score
Thanks for the input xci! Will definitely check out all of my bushings. Unfortunately, already have a busy weekend ahead but if I have time, I will definitely do it this weekend or early next week. Will keep you posted on this. Thank you!

truWarier02

Reaction score
I know you said you checked already but it sounds like maybe a lower shock mount bolt is not tight enough. It happens.

james'99

Reaction score
Yeah, anything is possible obviously. I use caution with suspension in terms of those types of things. I adhered to the torque specs but hey, we'll find out!

james'99

Reaction score
Just to update, I hit the bushings on the lower control arm with WD-40 to no avail. Gotta pull it apart. Unfortunately, time hasn't been on my side with school starting back up.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
oh, do not use 'WD-40'!

sorry, I shoulda specified that :doh:

You can use that to clean -or- lube...they claim...the only reason it can 'do' both? It sucks at both.

well, it *might* work...for 1 mile...then its gone...

I use motorcycle chain lube (I obviously have it for other things :p ) it goes on thin, soaks, then a 'thinner' evaporates leaving -REAL- lube.

should have lots of other stuff at a parts store, many will work.

-checked my home 'kit' :p I use 'Liquid Wrench Chain Lube'...I -DO NOT- use it on chains, it kinda sucks for that, but it works for cables (gotta clean/lube motorcycle cables, like the clutch cable FYI) and diagnosing random noises.

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score
Thanks a lot xci! Got plenty of liquid wrench chain lube. (My dad used to race when he was in the air force) Definitely will go back at it again!

Back