New Power Outlet Port

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
Here are the pictures of my setup:

USB and 3.5mm jack looking down into the center console.
IMG_0566.JPG

Cover lifted showing my glue:
IMG_0567.JPG

[

what is your usb connected to? i was going to run one and cut the usb and connect it to the cig. lighter wires

crossfire

Reaction score
what is your usb connected to? i was going to run one and cut the usb and connect it to the cig. lighter wires
It goes to my headunit. Splicing the cig lighter wires into a usb WILL NOT work. USB runs on 5V the cig lighter is 12V. You don't want to know what would happen if you did that

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
It goes to my headunit. Splicing the cig lighter wires into a usb WILL NOT work. USB runs on 5V the cig lighter is 12V. You don't want to know what would happen if you did that

i want to run a usb, and my headunit only has it on the front

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
thatnx. what type would be good to use. and i have a car charger that is messed up could would there be resistors in that?

crossfire

Reaction score
thatnx. what type would be good to use. and i have a car charger that is messed up could would there be resistors in that?
I would try to fix the car charger and wire that up to the 12V but hide it. The resistor method I mentioned could get complicated because resistors only solve the current portion of the issue. You would need a voltage divider and/or regulator to maintain a constant 5V since I'm not sure how constant the car's 12V is.

talontsiawd

Reaction score
It depends on how big your AC inverter is. I don't use mine all the time so I wired a cigarette lighter into my center console (which is mostly so I can charge my phone with it not having to be in the way). Then I use that for my AC inverter (which is normally in the trunk). You could make it look really clean though, I just don't use it enough to do so.

I don't like modding plastic pieces. I think you could put it where ever and still look really clean. If you want it in back, you put it under the seat. Then you could just make a plate on the front and cover it in fabric. I forget how our gloveboxes are but usually you can take some pieces out and build a new panel instead of cutting up the stock one. You could do the same and put it under the dash in the front seat. It will look almost as clean, you can go back to stock, and it will be easier.

kashmeister

Reaction score
NO! Do not just use a resistor.

The voltage on a car is not steady. It can fluctuate between 12-14V. You need to get a 5V regulator.

The most common one is the LM7805. It can handle 1Amp which is more than enough to charge your devices. Most USB chargers are 100mA, 200mA or 500mA.

I recommend you put a capacitor along with the 5V regulator to ensure a perfectly stable power source. A capactior will filter any voltage spikes.

You can find everything at radioshack. You need to do a little bit of basic soldering.

In addition, some devices like iPhone, etc. need a resistor between the center two usb pins (data). The outside pins are + and -.

PM me if you need some help.

kashmeister

Reaction score
NO! Do not just use a resistor.

The voltage on a car is not steady. It can fluctuate between 12-14V. You need to get a 5V regulator.

The most common one is the LM7805. It can handle 1Amp which is more than enough to charge your devices. Most USB chargers are 100mA, 200mA or 500mA.

I recommend you put a capacitor along with the 5V regulator to ensure a perfectly stable power source. A capactior will filter any voltage spikes.

You can find everything at radioshack. You need to do a little bit of basic soldering.

In addition, some devices like iPhone, etc. need a resistor between the center two usb pins (data). The outside pins are + and -.

PM me if you need some help.

EDIT: here are some good links

http://www.instructables.com/id/Portable-USB-Charger-Version-2.0/
http://pinouts.ws/usb-pinout.html

Back