Nhldogg's 1997 Honda Prelude

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I'd leave the wheels as is, personally. I just don't think they'll look better any other way.

nhldogg

Reaction score
I'd leave the wheels as is, personally. I just don't think they'll look better any other way.

Thanks for the input, the clear coat and paint on the wheels seems to be coming off in areas now but I may just have them re painted or powder coated to the factory color.

sunroof

Reaction score
And does 'base' mean base model?? Even the Accord didn't come with fogs or alloys in its 'base' form. :rolleyes:

First order of bidness....swap that tranny. :)

The Prelude for this year had two versions, base and sh. The base model just means that it didn't have that rear wheel drive stuff and less fancy features such as spoiler, upgraded grill, other factory added items.

the base just means that it's not the top of the line SH (super handling) model, none of the bb6 (97-01) ludes came with the 4ws (four wheel steering, where the two rear wheels turn to park the car) that only came in very few bb4 92-96 preludes. I have learned about these SH models the hard way, here is mine:

IMAG0718.jpg

IMAG0720.jpg

IMAG0807.jpg

i just have it parked, runs and drives great, but the top of the motor makes noise, previous owner did not know wtf he had, he never did maintenance to the tranny nor the transfer case. On the SH modesl the block is different the the other h22a4, on this one the oil filter is close to the brake booster, on the driver side, and also sits higher, you can actually take it off from the top instead of under the car. They did that to accomodate the trans transfer case that is matted to the tranny and they both bolt up to the motor. The transfer case aslo uses it's own fluid. It's basically like a sorry external LSD type thing, that's where the term Super Handling comes from, it's better for turns, when the car looses traction in one wheel the atts system transfers the power to the other wheel. Thing is the complete h22a4 out of a SH goes for lik 2k , i got this for it:

IMAG0694.jpg

a jdm f20b but i cant use it unless i get another tranny,and yes, i should have done my research before i got the motor, not after. Im going to finally take it to the shop this week, Lord willing, and put another head on it, do bearings, i already got some ground controls for it so as soon as i get it back, im dropping it and heading straight to the north Georgia Mountains to make good use of that SH crap, and them ill sell it, the SH model does bring good money

Last edited:

nhldogg

Reaction score
the base just means that it's not the top of the line SH (super handling) model, none of the bb6 (97-01) ludes came with the 4ws (four wheel steering, where the two rear wheels turn to park the car) that only came in very few bb4 92-96 preludes. I have learned about these SH models the hard way, here is mine:

IMAG0718.jpg

IMAG0720.jpg

IMAG0807.jpg

i just have it parked, runs and drives great, but the top of the motor makes noise, previous owner did not know wtf he had, he never did maintenance to the tranny nor the transfer case. On the SH modesl the block is different the the other h22a4, on this one the oil filter is close to the brake booster, on the driver side, and also sits higher, you can actually take it off from the top instead of under the car. They did that to accomodate the trans transfer case that is matted to the tranny and they both bolt up to the motor. The transfer case aslo uses it's own fluid. It's basically like a sorry external LSD type thing, that's where the term Super Handling comes from, it's better for turns, when the car looses traction in one wheel the atts system transfers the power to the other wheel. Thing is the complete h22a4 out of a SH goes for lik 2k , i got this for it:

IMAG0694.jpg

a jdm f20b but i cant use it unless i get another tranny,and yes, i should have done my research before i got the motor, not after. Im going to finally take it to the shop this week, Lord willing, and put another head on it, do bearings, i already got some ground controls for it so as soon as i get it back, im dropping it and heading straight to the north Georgia Mountains to make good use of that SH crap, and them ill sell it, the SH model does bring good money

That's awesome! I had no idea you owned a BB6 as well! Maybe we will see each other again at one of the meets and you can help me fix mine up. It needs a little tlc and some simple modifications to make it a tad quicker but other than that I love it!

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
God I love the front end of this car. That light combo in the bumper looks sweet!

I do have to say I like the factory wheels better though. :hide:

Back