Nut snapped off installing rotor

MikeF

Reaction score
Need help! I replaced the plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor today but when I was tightening the screw which retains the rotor inside the distributor cap, it snapped off leaving the screw head in my ratchet and the rest of the screw barely holding the rotor cap on. I've turned the motor over and the car runs fine but I really don't trust not having the rotor properly screwed into place.

Any ideas to remove the half a screw would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I need to buy a whole new distributor right?

FYI, this is a 2001 Honda Accord, auto with the 2.3. (ULEV-VTEC)

-Mike

MikeF

Reaction score
I'm trying to post a photo but I can't compress the files enough to post.

A friend recommended doing one of two things. First, supergluing an old screw driver to the bolt, waiting for it to dry, and trying to unscrew it that way. Or, in the alternative, just superglue the hell out of the stuck bolt effectively fusing the rotor in place.

Personally, I'd rather do it right and remove the bolt...

-Mike

Jephu

6GA Supporting Member
Reaction score
Few ways to fix your problem....If the bolt is broken off flush, you would have to remove the distributor and use either the EZ out screw extractor or tap and die set to remove the broken off screw.

"Before removing the old distributor, you will need to scribe two marks which will help you install the new distributor with the same orientation. One mark should be made to match the distributor housing (outside body) to the engine mounting point. Pick a point on the outside of the distributor housing that is accessible and that you can reproduce (in the same spot) on the new distributor. The second mark should be made on the inside of the distributor housing to indicate the position of the rotor within the distributor. Think of the rotor as the hour hand of a clock. The rotor on the new distributor will need to be in the same position when you install it. This is important, since if you do not mark these points properly, you probably will not be able to start the engine with the new distributor installed."

or

Become part of the elite ...

$(KGrHqV,!nsF!JDOJ1IEBQLIe,8J7w~~60_35.JPG

:jae:

001Stunna

Reaction score
You would've have to tried tightening it quite more then needed for it to snap off...as that bolt does not rust or etc. It sits there covered by the distributor cap and should only be hand tight, not wrench tight.

As for getting it out I think your choices are...
-attempt to use an ezout screw on the body of the screw that remains...but be careful and do not use blunt force on the shaft (cost to you will be price of ez outs and a screw)
-use a dremel to cut out the shaft of the rotor and slide the rotor off. assuming only the head of the screw broke off, you should have enough screw body available with the rotor off to take a small plier and twise the body off and out of the shaft. (cost to you will be a new rotor, screw)
-tape off the area around the rotor screw, use some JB Weld and stick the head back on and attempt twisting it off after its FULLY cured(cost to you will be a new screw and JB Weld)
-If all else fails buy a new distributor and DO NOT overtighten again(cost to you will be a new distributor)

Last edited:

MikeF

Reaction score
Success! I was able to superglue an old blunted screwdriver (more surface area) to the severed bolt and propped it up for a few minutes until it set. I backed it out a little bit with the screwdriver until I could get some needle-nose pliers on it at which point I was able to unscrew the rest of it. Now to the Honda dealership to try and find a new bolt.

And yes, I intend on hand tightening this one...

Thanks for your help and advice.

-Mike

001Stunna

Reaction score
Success! I was able to superglue an old blunted screwdriver (more surface area) to the severed bolt and propped it up for a few minutes until it set. I backed it out a little bit with the screwdriver until I could get some needle-nose pliers on it at which point I was able to unscrew the rest of it. Now to the Honda dealership to try and find a new bolt.

And yes, I intend on hand tightening this one...

Thanks for your help and advice.

-Mike

You need part# 30135-P0A-A01
It should be max~$2.00 probably

Back