Oil pan changed, light on

mraw112

Reaction score
Ok, so I got a new idea. I put in an intake a few months ago and when I did that I plugged up the other vent in the valve cover. I was thinking maybe this is clogging it up too much. I just unplugged it and replaced it with a little filter from auto zone. The light now isn't steady. It just blinks once like every 10 seconds. The engine doesn't sound the same either. It kind of sounds like it's knocking, but it's so hard to hear I don't know if it's just me being paranoid or what. I was thinking about test driving it. Do you think that is a bad idea?

your too late. you have spun a bearing. Do not take it for a test drive or even start the car AT ALL. that can only make it worse. Your going to have to take off the oil pan and remove the bearings to find out which one you spin. get a micrometer and measre the crank journal to make sure that it is not out of round. If its not then you dont need to remove the crank and have it ground down. Your rod big end will have to be removed and resized, and you need to replace the bearing. Thats assuming you you spun a rod bearing. If you spun a crank bearing, then you need to remove the crank and possible the whole block. get the crank ground down and maybe get the block aligned honed/bored.

It will probably be less of a hassel to replace to just get a new engine, since you can probably find one for like 200$

It is possible it is just some noise in the valve train and nothing serious, but thats more of a ticking sound. If its the valve train from not having enough oil, it probably will go away. But get an oil pressure guage, and dont start the engine till you know you have a good amount of oil pressure. You could just need a new oil pump.

Last edited:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
You should take your car to someone or a mechanic. Buy a haynes manual.

Was your car throwing a lights before you changed the pan? You might want to drain ur oil and take out ur oil pan to see how things look in there.

You can do like Mraw suggested to check your oil pressure. You can turn the engine by hand from the crankshaft pully bolt. You need a breaker bar or something long so u can turn the crank shaft pully bolt. Make sure ur car is in N.

Mraw, you cant say he has a spun bearing. We have not even heard a sound clip of his engine. He probably cant tell if its a knock or a valve tap from no oil reaching the head.

At all cost, do not keep running your engine until u have tested ur oil pressure. Then go from there...

Last edited:

EnjoiPugs

Reaction score
It's not CEL and it's not maintenance light either. It is the oil lamp symbol. I guess I am going to try taking off the head and seeing what's going on. I was thinking, could I just take off the oil filter? If there's oil in there then the oil pump should be working right?

mraw112

Reaction score
Well it should, but it does show how much is flowing. i remember you were working on turboing your accord? do you have the oil pressure feed line and tee. what you could do is hook that up and have the line empty into a pan. then remove the spark plugs so there theres no load on the engine, and try turning the engine with the starter. if you see oil coming out at a good rate then the oil pump is fine.

Taking of the head really wont tell you much about the oil pump. did you happen to leave some old gasket material in the pan. it could be clogging the pickup tube.

EnjoiPugs

Reaction score
I am going to check the oil pressure sender in the morning. I have no clue what the noise is, but it doesn't seem to catastrophic and is so faint I can't say it's really anything for sure. I was very careful to remove all of the gasket and not let any dirt into the pan. I did knock what I think is the oil pump with the pan putting it back on, but it was very lightly, I couldn't believe that would be enough to damage it at all. Have a haynes manual, that's how I changed the pan following those steps. I wasn't getting a light before this. The new oil pan is tapped for the turbocharger, but I have the bung blocked off at the moment. I don't know if any of this changes anything.

mraw112

Reaction score
rod knock is very loud, so you would know if you had it. This is probably a very rare scenario, but if you knocked the pickup tube, then you could have broke the gasket between it and the pump. causing it to kinda leak some of the oil its picking up which is why it could be flashing. how did you like taking off the 2 or 3 oil pan bolts near the timing belt side? Those 2 or 3 bolts honestly took me an hour to get them off the first time. When i changed my oil pan i also broke a bolt in the block. Not fun I had to drill a new hole and tap new threads for a bigger bolt.

EnjoiPugs

Reaction score
Yeah dude, those bolts were really difficult. Luckily I had this little baby wrench that got in there. It took me like half hour too lol.

madmech_79

Reaction score

Taking of the head really wont tell you much about the oil pump. did you happen to leave some old gasket material in the pan. it could be clogging the pickup tube.[/quote]
Thats what Id suspect right off, did you use a bunch of rtv silicone when resealing the pan? Also I'm not sure about that engine but others Ive worked on it is possible to hit and move your oil pick up so its not sitting in the sump. If you did not have the funny noise or oil light before you changed the pan Id be almost certain that's whats going on.

EnjoiPugs

Reaction score
How do you get the oil pressure sensor off? It's like a rubber seal, is there a bolt under that? I can't seem to just pull it off.

Back