On cold start engine makes fast chatter noise.

luciusad2004

Reaction score
Hey guys. I've noticed that on a cold start my engine makes a weird chatter noise between 2k to 3k RPM. If i give it just a little bit of throttle it will make this fast tapping sound and then if I give it more throttle or let off the throttle it goes away.

Its more pronounced the colder it gets, but once the car is warmed up the chatter goes away completely. I should note that my valve train seems sort of loud in general but it is loudest right when i start it up.

Does anyone have any idea what it could be or how i could go about figuring out were the problem is?

2)Another issue. Probably unrelated, but I figured id put it here instead of making a second thread.

When I fill up my gas tank, the first time i start the engine, it sometimes sputters and doesn't seem to want to turn over. It's not every time but it happens regularly. I've tried different fuel grades and it doesn't really matter what I put in (I typically use regular because I assumed that's what are cars are meant to use.) I did notice however that If i switch to a different grade of fuel when i fill up, it's guaranteed to have a tough time turning over when i start it up. Does anyone know what could cause this? The only Mod's that I know of on the car that would affect the fuel system significantly would be the OBD 1 conversion

EDIT:
Added a video of the sputtering on startup on warmer days.
It's not the best quality because I only have an ipod but it shows symptoms well enough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xslx_Uzl6EI

Last edited:

LowerMyCG5

Reaction score
^spam

problem one. you need a valve adjustment. and it wouldnt hurt to check your oil level

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Yea #1 sounds like the all too common valve chatter, most Honda motors I've heard seem to always have it. Valve adjustment is your friend.

#2 I don't have experience with OBD conversions, I'd check with RussianRed and akoutmos.

luciusad2004

Reaction score
Ok, thanks guys. Ill look in to getting that done. I've been wanting to get it done anyway. Just have to see how much my mechanic thinks it would run. I'm just hoping it isn't a knock in the bottom end or anything.

I checked the oil level the other day and it wasn't to low but it is due for an oil change. Would have done it already but i don't have a garage anymore.

luciusad2004

Reaction score
Not sure if it's very helpful, but the warmer weather the past couple of days has made the Sputtering on start worse.

-It sputters when i start it up int he morning and if I park it for like 30 minutes and then start it back up it will sputter again. Could it possibly have anything to do with the IACV? That does regulate the air getting in to the engine on start up doesn't it? I know the IACV was swapped to a 2 wire IACV for the OBD 1 Conversion.

I probably could use some new spark plug wires. Don't know if that would cause this though.

-As far as the valve train noise it's quieter with the warmer weather. I can't tell if it's coming from the valve train or lower in the head though. Is the valve adjustment difficult to do on our cars? I don't have a ton of money right now. I remember watching a video on youtube like a year ago and it didn't look to difficult.

clempot911

Reaction score
Not sure if it's very helpful, but the warmer weather the past couple of days has made the Sputtering on start worse.

-It sputters when i start it up int he morning and if I park it for like 30 minutes and then start it back up it will sputter again. Could it possibly have anything to do with the IACV? That does regulate the air getting in to the engine on start up doesn't it? I know the IACV was swapped to a 2 wire IACV for the OBD 1 Conversion.

I probably could use some new spark plug wires. Don't know if that would cause this though.

-As far as the valve train noise it's quieter with the warmer weather. I can't tell if it's coming from the valve train or lower in the head though. Is the valve adjustment difficult to do on our cars? I don't have a ton of money right now. I remember watching a video on youtube like a year ago and it didn't look to difficult.

No, it's not difficult - just takes some patience and make sure the engine is cold. There's a tool you can buy for like $15 that makes the process a little quicker, but I've done many just using a screwdriver and wrench.

This guy has a video on it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7wI4EtZSaA

luciusad2004

Reaction score
I took a video of it today for better explanation. i linked it in the original post.

It stumbles when you first start it up but then after a minute or two it idles smooth(ish).
If i give it a little bit of gas it will smooth out the idle faster. I drove it earlier in the day and then let it sit for about an hour or so and it did this.

I did add some oil today. It wasn't really low but i topped it off. Didn't have any effect.

EDIT:
Started it up this morning and it seems to be getting worse. It didn't want to turn over at all. It turned over once or twice then stopped. I had to give it gas to start it up.

Last edited:

luciusad2004

Reaction score
Went with some advice from another forum.
Before starting it I cycle the fuel pump a few times to pressurize the fuel system and it seems to have a positive effect so far.

Would this be a fuel pump problem or is there something that I should check that could be causing fuel pressure issues?

Also does anyone know were the Fuel Filter is? On my old civic it was right on the firewall but I couldn't find it on the accord.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Went with some advice from another forum.
Before starting it I cycle the fuel pump a few times to pressurize the fuel system and it seems to have a positive effect so far.

Would this be a fuel pump problem or is there something that I should check that could be causing fuel pressure issues?

Also does anyone know were the Fuel Filter is? On my old civic it was right on the firewall but I couldn't find it on the accord.
I believe in our cars to change the fuel filter you'd need to change the fuel pump as well as they come in one unit. If you can either yourself or at a shop get the fuel pressure checked and go from there before you throw $$$ at it.
In addition making sure the general things are in good working order wouldnt hurt. ie. clean air filter, cleaned TB and butterfly, clean IACV, clean plugs and regap them if you dont want to change them yet, run some fuel injector cleaner in the tank such as STP, BG44k, Seafoam etc.

Back