Opps, I might have done something bad to tie rod...

ihaveaquestion

Reaction score
Well, guess who screw up while replacing the inner tie rod this morning?

The problem is the ball joint. Not that I can't seperate it (which I can't), but the reason for it is because...well, watch the clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORWjF43FNVA

Boy, is that blurry or what!

Anyway, the problem is that the center stud is moving with the nut...I tried grabbing the stub and turn the nut but it just wasn't possible.

Help needed! Need car to drive to work on Monday!

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Yeah you'll have to cut it off. A nice torch or a saw even.

And I noticed your YouTube name haha your name never ceases to make sense :lawl:

ihaveaquestion

Reaction score
Can't cut. Must get it off!!

My torch sucks...it's good to heat up metal but nothing else. Please...someone!

Name? Shhhh....it's just a coincidence...;)

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Is there enough room to get a metal cutting saw in there? That's your only other option if it wont twist off.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
I'm not a welding guy so I wouldn't know if it would cut haha

Any hack saw will do as long as it will fit in the space. And a little electric handheld saw with a spinning or vibrating blade will do much much better. They're usually pretty cheap and will come in handy on more than one occasion.

Edit: couldn't think of what they were called. A nice heavy duty dremel saw will do you alot of good.

001Stunna

Reaction score
I'm not a welding guy so I wouldn't know if it would cut haha

Any hack saw will do as long as it will fit in the space. And a little electric handheld saw with a spinning or vibrating blade will do much much better. They're usually pretty cheap and will come in handy on more than one occasion.

Edit: couldn't think of what they were called. A nice heavy duty dremel saw will do you alot of good.

Hack saw or a rotary saw with a thin enough disk should work. Did you cross-thread the nut on somehow or...

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
It really is a mystery, at least to me, how that happened. It turns fairly freely but doesn't go anywhere :confused:

simon_y

Reaction score
Try gunning it out if you have access to an air compressor or electric impact.

I tried tightening the crown nut on my lower ball joint with a ratchet because my impact gun battery was dead, and it just kept spinning the ball joint. So I took my impact with a fresh battery and just gunned it in. The initial torque and speed from the gun should remove it.

Similar to removing the nut on the top hat. It won't work if you just sit there with a wrench spinning it because you're gonna be spinning the shaft to. That's why people usually gun out the nut on the top hat.

Back