Opps, I might have done something bad to tie rod...

ihaveaquestion

Reaction score
New day, new problem.

Looks like the adjusting nut is completely rusted and cross-threaded. I wonder how the alignment shop did the alignment 2 weeks ago...just makes you wonder. Anyway, I can't loosen that nut even after applying heat, so I am going to have to cut the inner tie off completely. I am looking at cordless grinder (has to be cordless, living in apt), do you think a 4 1/2 grinder will suffice to cut the inner tie rod?

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
New day, new problem.

Looks like the adjusting nut is completely rusted and cross-threaded. I wonder how the alignment shop did the alignment 2 weeks ago...just makes you wonder. Anyway, I can't loosen that nut even after applying heat, so I am going to have to cut the inner tie off completely. I am looking at cordless grinder (has to be cordless, living in apt), do you think a 4 1/2 grinder will suffice to cut the inner tie rod?
That should be good enough I think. Assuming the blade is of quality and it has enough power being cordless and all.

nsjames

Reaction score
an option before you start cutting is to put a bottle jack under it and push it up into the arm. Teh shank is tapered, if you push it into the arm it may stop spinning and you can force the nut off.

or you can try a nut splitter.

P1150531.JPG

does this:

P1150532.JPG

otherwise, yes 4 1/2 grinder is what I've used before. you want an 1/8 disc, and try not to f up the face where the nut goes.

Last edited:

ihaveaquestion

Reaction score
I was thinking about the bottom jack idea....never got around to try it though.

The nut splitter won't do....the hole is not wide enough to go through the ball joint...unless I buy a big one.

I am thinking of cutting the inner tie rod off not just the nut, that's why I am concerned about the grinder. The inner tie rod looks like a hardened piece of metal difficult to cut. But I've never cut before, so what do I know...

ihaveaquestion

Reaction score
Well, it looks like both the nut and outer tie rod are seized...so even I can cut the nut off, I am not sure I can get the outer off.

The problem is how do u wrench on the outer tie rod? It's rounded, so it's hard to get a good grip on it. Is there a specific tool for it that I don't know of?

4 1/2 grinder not enough? Will a 7 incher suffice?

Last edited:

nsjames

Reaction score
I'm not sure I follow you there.

You're saying after you get the stud out of the knuckle arm you're worried about getting the tie rod end off of the rack end?

pipe wrenches and a MAPP gas torch will make that easy.

edit:

and a 4 1/2 grinder will cut the rod no sweat. trust me. if it doesn't, you're not using the tool right.

Back