P1456 code and fuel vapour leak

shyste

Reaction score
see i just got this changed at AAA had to pay 441 for this. this was in may of last year. got an oil change , went to the junkyard and the CEL came on. come to find out this code comes up again. i already replaced the vapor canister valve , fuel vapor canister , manifold gasket set. i went to AAA to see if they can look at it and they wanted to charge me 99dollars an hour just to look! crazy!

shyste

Reaction score
what im mad about is im still under warranty and they still wanted to charge me to look at it. doesn't sound right to me...

also RedRyder do you have an update on this?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
What warranty are you referring to?

Still haven't bothered haha, I just clear the CEL once a week with my OBII scanner. I've noticed the leak has gotten worse though, I can smell more gas after I get out of the car now. Just need to take it in again for a smoke test I guess, just hate to pay for a full labor hour for such a stupid small problem. But they didn't charge me last time, maybe I'll get lucky again lol.

H-town_Ryda_06

Reaction score
I have been dealing with this same code for a few months now but im reluctant to change the canister and it not fix the problem. So far i have only purchased a new cap, but code came back a few weeks later. Started to have a intermittent bogging down issue also but not sure its related, but no other codes.

On a side note, i do see a small tear in the rubber grommet around the gas tank filler neck...

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I wouldn't change the fuel canister or anything close to it unless you have a 1457. I did all that for my 1456 a while back and it did nothing. I think the 1456 is relative to something closer to the gas tank/fuel filler neck/etc. Just a suggestion.

H-town_Ryda_06

Reaction score
Agreed. I do smell gas after driving though. Im thinking the seals on the filler neck might be an issue but havent found much info or a diy, think it would require dropping the whole tank?

shyste

Reaction score
What warranty are you referring to?

Still haven't bothered haha, I just clear the CEL once a week with my OBII scanner. I've noticed the leak has gotten worse though, I can smell more gas after I get out of the car now. Just need to take it in again for a smoke test I guess, just hate to pay for a full labor hour for such a stupid small problem. But they didn't charge me last time, maybe I'll get lucky again lol.

the warranty i had was for AAA. i was covered because in may they replace the canister and some 2 other things under there. i was covered under their warranty and they still wanted to charge me 99 for a diagnostic test not including the smoke test.

lmayoral2191

Reaction score
Ran into this problem at the shop this week. Try this, there will be a sensor on too of the canister that has 3 wires it's the fuel pressure sensor. Tap into the light green wire and monitor fuel tank pressure. With the key on and gas cap off it should have 2.5v, put the cap back on and start the car. The pressure should rise too 2.8 to 2.9v then shut the car off with key on. The pressure should stay steady for a while and not drop instantly. If it drops instant then you have a leak, start checking all line, rubber hoses, filler neck, fuel pump ect. Mine turned out too have a bad 2 way valve and the canister was flooded with gas lol. Lmk if you have any questions.

Last edited:
Back