Painting metal trim around windows?

all.i.see

Reaction score
any done this or thought about doing it? I wanna paint the metal trim around the driver and passenger side window black. I figure id take sandpaper to it, lay down 2-3 coats primer then 2-3 coats duplicolor matte black trim spray paint then buff later? not sure of time frame? or if i even need to buff but any help with this process or better suggestions on this would help me out a lot.

knighthawk1104

Reaction score
some people use, i think it's called, trim-brite? this is a tape.

i used plasti-dip. it's a rubber coating that's spray on. i wiped mine clean with alcohol and masked and covered around it. sprayed 1 coating and let it dry for 30 minutes(not in the sun). repeat until 3-4 coatings. pretty simple.

the worst part was covering the area around it lol. rest is ez pz!

EDIT:
Videl69.jpg

Videl96.jpg

Last edited:

KO iNfAmOuS

Reaction score
I used trimbrite...check out my members ride page in sig...I remember when I was doing it I saw how Knighthawk did his and I feel like it would look cleaner but regardless it is what it is

knighthawk1104

Reaction score
yea the spray is definitely "cleaner" but the tape looks just fine. i know it took me a while to finish mine. best to get some help covering thr car.

if you don't have time or anything the tape is your best bet.

all.i.see

Reaction score
some people use, i think it's called, trim-brite? this is a tape.

i used plasti-dip. it's a rubber coating that's spray on. i wiped mine clean with alcohol and masked and covered around it. sprayed 1 coating and let it dry for 30 minutes(not in the sun). repeat until 3-4 coatings. pretty simple.

the worst part was covering the area around it lol. rest is ez pz!

EDIT:
Videl69.jpg

Videl96.jpg

alright perfect way better than trying to sand, prime and spray that other stuff ill definitely use this thanks! did you just spray the chrome trim or pretty much everything till the paint? cause i know there like the black sealant or whatever around the chrome or did u just spray that too?
Edit: I just looked it up on homedepot for pricing and it says it requires pre-application of primer for use. did u use one or is if fine without it?

Last edited:

knighthawk1104

Reaction score
i sprayed the black parts also but it would be best not to. i just got lazy and i didn't bother to cover it.

i just sprayed it after whiping it clean with rubbing alcohol. no primer for me. and holds fine if you do it right. i didn't wipe one side cause i forgot and it doesn't hold as well lol. =P

all.i.see

Reaction score
id give this one a second look it what ima do sooner or later
completely up to u

it would be a lot easier. hmmm if i can pick it up local like the spray ill probe do that. know of any places that would have it?

mkdb89-02se

Reaction score
orillys, advance auto parts, autozone, any local parts stores call around if they dnt have it they can probably order it

Back