Painting wheels gunmetal

Drew707

Reaction score
EDIT:

Decided to just make this my wheel paint project thread. sorry bout the crappy iphone pics.

So I bought some tl wheels and they were matt black. decided to paint em. here what ive been up to when i have time.

supplies im using.

Aircraft stripper
Etching primer
filler primer
Graphite wheel coat
Clear coat
prep wipes
tack cloth
Sandblaster 320grit Sandblock
Degreaser/cleaner
Wire brush
Paint brush
plastic scraper

6a4ena5e.jpg

uvesuhyp.jpg

i did 1st buy the canned stripper but i ran out on the 3rd wheel so just decided to buy the bigger one. i applied the stripper using a paint brush.

when i first bought em.
arary9eq.jpg

vabyne9u.jpg

5a4esysu.jpg

stripped them down.
u2u7u2eb.jpg

y7ade8uz.jpg

as you can see the ones on the right i stripped way to much to bare aluminum. i originally wanted to get it to that oem color. lol. already bought the paint so might as well use it. never used aircraft stripper before let alone painting wheels.will be painting them next time im off.

a4amutem.jpg

Before i started i made sure my wheels were clean so i used a degreaser/cleaner then air dry. After that i used a tack cloth to remove any loose dust or dirt

saguvuqu.jpg

Started to prime with the etching primer. I Did 2 coats

ujataqy3.jpg

After the etching primer i started with the filler primer.

u8ejezy2.jpg

After 1 coat of filler primer i started to sand it down with the 320grit sand block. After i was done sanding the filler primer i used the tack cloth again to remove the dust

qa5u8y6y.jpg

After the 2nd coat of filler primer i used a duplicolor prep wipe to remove any leftover grease

e9y7ase5.jpg

All primed and ready to paint

gajy3u3y.jpg

After 1 coat of graphite paint

e4ybanag.jpg

All done! I did 4 coats of regular paint and 2 coats of clear.

Pretty happy with the results considering ive never painted anything before. If u look closely u can see imperfections of the paint but i like it.

Last edited:

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Re: Painting my fender

O'Reillys sells rattlecan SSM

That's good to know. Must be new in the last couple of years as I used to have to get rattle cans made. Have you used it? Just wondering how the match is. The stuff I would have mixed had way more metallic than I have ever seen out of a Duplicolor can.

agginline86

Reaction score
Re: Painting my fender

That's good to know. Must be new in the last couple of years as I used to have to get rattle cans made. Have you used it? Just wondering how the match is. The stuff I would have mixed had way more metallic than I have ever seen out of a Duplicolor can.

i painted my front lip using it
1 coat adhesion promoter
2-3 coats color
2 coats clear

pics on my member ride
i'll be painting my rear lip soon (by december) too if you aren't in a rush i can show you how that turns out too

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Re: Removing wheel paint

I would sand or strip the old paint before respraying. And a few coats of clear will help protect the finish.

Drew707

Reaction score

So im guessing if i removr the black paint it want be like that fActory alloy color

NotNice

Reaction score

So im guessing if i removr the black paint it want be like that fActory alloy color

Yes. Sand down the paint with like 250 at first then a higher grade to smooth it out. Then Put some compound on it.

Akingkhan

Reaction score

You could always have them bead blasted & put a clear over the raw aluminum....

Drew707

Reaction score

Was thinking of using aircraft stripper to remove paint. Anyone have experience with it?

Last edited:
Back