Photography Shoutbox

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
scowering
ಠ_ಠ

:lawl:

but yeah, i found a SB-28 on CL for $25. i think we discussed it previously :lawl: got like $80 for it on ebay.

if youre going to be using an external trigger, you really only need something that can be adjusted for power and maybe width and bounce. i use that nikon flash on my pentax and do that, or use the trigger in the same way.

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
I can't decide which I'd use & enjoy more: a wide angle (Sigma 10-20mm), or a better walk-around telephoto lens (18-105mm, 55-300mm, etc).

Right now I have a 35mm 1.8 & the 18-55mm kit lens. The kit lens is well-reviewed but personally I don't like mine and try and avoid using it. The autofocus is slow or even completely horrible in low light. The 35mm is a dream in comparison.

The wide angle should be great for landscape / architecture / general still life and good for people shots, whereas a telephoto would be great for a walk-around lens and while shooting events / general purpose.

I'm going to Europe in a couple months and am torn between which route to go. The Sigma isn't exactly a fast lens at f/4 which could be annoying for indoors if I'm at museums and such.

Advice guys?

kn0x47

Reaction score
well i own all 3: a wide angle, the 35 and a telephoto...

wide angles are nice but they're pretty much a "specialty" lens. i don't find the wide angle to be that great for people but mine only zooms in to 16. sense the sigma goes to 20 it might not be too bad.

i wouldn't consider the 18-105 unless you plan on getting rid of your kit lens...55-300 would be a really nice range for a telephoto. mine only goes to 210 and i wished it zoomed in farther.

personally, if i was traveling, i think i'd get more use out of a telephoto then a wide angle. if you wanted to take a picture of something thats too big for the 35mm then you can just take a panorama and let some software stitch it together for you later

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
well i own all 3: a wide angle, the 35 and a telephoto...

wide angles are nice but they're pretty much a "specialty" lens. i don't find the wide angle to be that great for people but mine only zooms in to 16. sense the sigma goes to 20 it might not be too bad.

i wouldn't consider the 18-105 unless you plan on getting rid of your kit lens...55-300 would be a really nice range for a telephoto. mine only goes to 210 and i wished it zoomed in farther.

personally, if i was traveling, i think i'd get more use out of a telephoto then a wide angle. if you wanted to take a picture of something thats too big for the 35mm then you can just take a panorama and let some software stitch it together for you later

Yeah if I got the 18-105 I would sell my kit lens. The only thing I ever use my kit lens for is if I need to be able to go wider than 35mm really. I plan on getting rid of it eventually.

Are you using a 70-210mm? The 55-300mm seems to be a good lens, and is definitely tempting but I worry that I'd be unable to fit a lot of things into frame with a 55mm minimum if I really tried to use it as a walkaround lens. That's the main reason I'm also considering the 18-105mm (or 18-200mm if anyone wants to donate lol). What's your experience?

I ended up buying the Sigma 10-20mm for now because, as luck would have it, it popped up in one of Amazon's "Gold" deals and was $80 off for an hour lol. I should have it before the weekend so I'll test it out, and can always return it if I think I made a mistake later. If I end up keeping the 10-20mm I'll most likely put my kit lens up for sale shortly after. I think I could live without the 21-34mm range for a short while.

Last edited:

kn0x47

Reaction score
Yeah if I got the 18-105 I would sell my kit lens. The only thing I ever use my kit lens for is if I need to be able to go wider than 35mm really. I plan on getting rid of it eventually.

Are you using a 70-210mm? The 55-300mm seems to be a good lens, and is definitely tempting but I worry that I'd be unable to fit a lot of things into frame with a 55mm minimum if I really tried to use it as a walkaround lens. That's the main reason I'm also considering the 18-105mm (or 18-200mm if anyone wants to donate lol). What's your experience?

I ended up buying the Sigma 10-20mm for now because, as luck would have it, it popped up in one of Amazon's "Gold" deals and was $80 off for an hour lol. I should have it before the weekend so I'll test it out, and can always return it if I think I made a mistake later. If I end up keeping the 10-20mm I'll most likely put my kit lens up for sale shortly after. I think I could live without the 21-34mm range for a short while.

Yeah I have the 70-210 f/4 (constant) that was made back in 1985. If you got the 55-300 you'd definitely need the 35 or kit lens with you where as if you get the 18-xxx you won't have to worry about carrying another lens with you. I've either used the 18-105 or 18-135 (no vr) and its definitely a good walking around lens. The only problem I had was lots of the photos were easily blurred when zoomed in all the way but I used it back when I was still learning the basics so the ISO might have been on 200 or lower

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
I keep my gear in a sling backpack, so it'd be pretty unusual that I wouldn't have my other lenses with me although if I had something like the 18-105mm on then I wouldn't need to worry about changing lenses unless I wanted to for a certain shot, as opposed to swapping lenses out of necessity.

Out of curiousity, what do you usually keep on your camera (and/or nearby?)

kn0x47

Reaction score
I keep my gear in a sling backpack, so it'd be pretty unusual that I wouldn't have my other lenses with me although if I had something like the 18-105mm on then I wouldn't need to worry about changing lenses unless I wanted to for a certain shot, as opposed to swapping lenses out of necessity.

Out of curiousity, what do you usually keep on your camera (and/or nearby?)

the 35 is almost always on my camera. i have a large backpack so i always have 3 lenses, external flash, extra battery with me. i almost never use it all but the only other camera bag i have can only hold the camera (without battery grip) and one lens so its easier just to take it all then to buy a third bag

iHazSnail

Reaction score
What about sigma 17-50mm f2.8. I love that lens and it almost never comes off my 7D.

Wildman

Read the rules
Reaction score
the 35 is almost always on my camera. i have a large backpack so i always have 3 lenses, external flash, extra battery with me. i almost never use it all but the only other camera bag i have can only hold the camera (without battery grip) and one lens so its easier just to take it all then to buy a third bag

I still love that lens too. It's got to be one of the best options for your money out there.

I think I've decided on eventually running with the Sigma 10-20mm (or other wide angle), Nikon's 35mm 1.8, and the 55-300mm as lenses.

I decided to upgrade my body (D3000 -> D5100) so I'm not sure how long until I pick up the 55-300mm but they are pretty affordable at least.

What about sigma 17-50mm f2.8. I love that lens and it almost never comes off my 7D.

The 35mm prime is really a fantastic lens, to the point that I never use my 18-55 zoom anymore. The ONLY reason I would ever put it on is if I needed something wider, like for interior real estate shots.

For how I use my camera and the equipment I already have, I wouldn't get enough use out of the 17-50mm Sigma.

Back