Plastic caps on Coilover Sleeves?

ChargerFan17

Reaction score
Hi. I am seriously looking into buying coilover sleeves for my Accord. The model I am most seriously considering is the Megan Coilover Sleeves. The only problem is that the caps that are on the top of the spring is "hard plastic". Is that a sign that these were manufactured cheaply and I shouldn't buy them, or is the plastic as durable as metal caps? Or does it even make a difference?

A link to a picture of the sleeves: http://www.meganracing.com/uploadimage/regular/7232010_CO-HC8800.jpg

Thanks

ChargerFan17

Reaction score
Because I am only 16 years old and because of how hard it is for teenagers to find a job in Southern California, I don't think I will have the funds to purchase a full Coilover System anytime in the near future. Besides, all I want is for my car to have an aggressive stance and to handle a little better. I believe that coilover sleeves would be the perfect option for me. I just want to know if the plastic caps with cause any serious problems in the future.

Thanks.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, if you purchase these and blow your struts. Will you have the funds in the future to replace those?

Take our advice - Just do coilovers the first time.

ChargerFan17

Reaction score
I totally see your point and I thank you for your advice, but I would still like to know if anybody here has had problems with plastic caps. Just in case somebody on my local craigslist has a deal that I cannot refuse ;)

Thanks.

MichaelPower

Reaction score
I to was 16 and wanted to be low to ******ing bad. So I totally wanted te Megan coilover sleeves until I rode In my neighbors civic with ebay sleeves and was thrown around the car like we were on a dirt road. It's now a year later and I'm on function and form type ones couldn't have been happier. The ride is great and you can actually lower your car more than the bouncy 3 inches you'd get from the sleeves.

But basically what I'm gettin at is you'll be happier stock then with sleeves after 3 :chewie:months:chewie:

ChargerFan17

Reaction score
I see. But do you think that if I bought a more reputable brand of sleeves like Ground Control, the ride will be of better quality than the eBay equivalent Megan sleeves? Like MichaelPower said, I want to be low soooooo bad.

Thanks.

juicebox00

Reaction score
The caps on the Megans are known to break. Instead, look into Ground Control Coilover Sleeves. I've been running them with koni yellows and would never think of switching to Coilovers after seeing how they preform in the mountains and on the track. However, if you're just looking to lower your car, a cheap set of coilovers isn't a bad option. With the sleeves, you'll need to pair them with new struts.

Shot me a PM if you need parts. I work at a performance shop up in Covina and can help you out.

Last edited:

ChargerFan17

Reaction score
The caps on the Megans are known to break. Instead, look into Ground Control Coilover Sleeves. I've been running them with koni yellows and would never think of switching to Coilovers after seeing how they preform in the mountains and on the track. However, if you're just looking to lower your car, a cheap set of coilovers isn't a bad option. With the sleeves, you'll need to pair them with new struts.

Shot me a PM if you need parts. I work at a performance shop up in Covina and can help you out.

Do you think I will need a new pair of struts because I want the ride to improve or because if I don't, I'll damage the suspension? And, this might be a noob question, but what function do the caps serve anyways? Because if they don't serve any real purposes, then why does it matter if they break?

Thanks

Back