Possible oil deposit under distrubutor...

001Stunna

Reaction score
Well i've noticed lately when checking things under the hood that the area under the distributor gets somewhat wet every 1-2 weeks. At first i thought it was rust proofing but last week decided to fully wipe it clean with a rag and brake cleaner. Low and behold it's back after about 12 days.

I changed the cap and rotor about 1 month ago and there was no signs of oil inside the old cap or anywhere on the distributor insides from what i could tell.

Looking online it seems that the symptoms could be pointing to a bad o-ring seal though. Was just wondering on some opinions/ideas...

img00156201109151801.jpg

kn0x47

Reaction score
same thing happen to mine and my gf's 6ga. it's the o-ring. change it soon. there is a heater hose below the distributor. mine got oil soaked and eventually broke and lost most of my radiator fluid

001Stunna

Reaction score
same thing happen to mine and my gf's 6ga. it's the o-ring. change it soon. there is a heater hose below the distributor. mine got oil soaked and eventually broke and lost most of my radiator fluid

Was the change straight forward?
..take out distributor...take out old o-ring...lube new one and place in and assemble everything?

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Good call on the O-ring.. But beware, it can also be the valve cover gasket.. Make sure you change either both, or pinpoint which one is causing the issue. I would change both to be safe.. The O-ring can't cost that much!

My $0.02.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Good call on the O-ring.. But beware, it can also be the valve cover gasket.. Make sure you change either both, or pinpoint which one is causing the issue. I would change both to be safe.. The O-ring can't cost that much!

My $0.02.

The o-ring was like $2.50 at closest Honda dealer, ordered it through the phone already and just have to go pick it up.
I have the timing belt and waterpump getting changed this Saturday along with all the gaskets and seals around the area so will take a look at the valve cover gasket as well and change it possibly. thanks for the input though :)

Back