power Door locks and horn working randomly

watut

Reaction score
This is messed up. When I am driving my car and try to honk it won't honk. But if I park and turn off the car, the horn will honk. Also, sometimes the power door lock switch on the drivers door won't work but if I try locking it from the passenger side it will work.:goyou::dumb::fail:

ZsleepizeZ

Reaction score
This is messed up. When I am driving my car and try to honk it won't honk. But if I park and turn off the car, the horn will honk. Also, sometimes the power door lock switch on the drivers door won't work but if I try locking it from the passenger side it will work.:goyou::dumb::fail:

for the horn, take your airbag out and check the contacting points.

for the door lock switch, just get a used one from the junkyard and replace it

finch13

Reaction score
for the horn, take your airbag out and check the contacting points.

The horn switch is clearly fine since it works when the car is off.

Since it's an odd issue that it works when the car is off but not when it's on, I'm going to say the passenger multiplex unit is junk. The rest of the circuit is too simple to cause such a strange problem.

watut

Reaction score
What would cause that multiplex unit to be junk? I haven't done any electrical work to the car recently. As for the door lock thingy, I switched it with the other one and it's still the same problem?

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
You cant just take the airbag out.

You must unplug the battery, YOU MUST WAIT A FEW MINUTES AS THE AIRBAG IS SUPPLIED BY A SEPERATE BATTERY WHEN THE CAR IS OFF. This is what my Lexus FSM SRS manual says, and imsure its the same for honda.

finch13

Reaction score
You cant just take the airbag out. YOU MUST WAIT A FEW MINUTES AS THE AIRBAG IS SUPPLIED BY A SEPERATE BATTERY WHEN THE CAR IS OFF. This is what my Lexus FSM SRS manual says, and imsure its the same for honda.

All of them say to disconnect the battery, just to make sure us dumb technicians don't make a mistake. Still, no reason to even think about removing the airbag in this case, we've already figured out the horn switch is just fine.

What would cause that multiplex unit to be junk? I haven't done any electrical work to the car recently. As for the door lock thingy, I switched it with the other one and it's still the same problem?

I don't know why they fail, they're basically just a computer and I'm sure the solder points wear out like everything else. All it does is take your analog window command from the switch, convert it to a digital signal and send it to the other multiplex unit where it gets converted back into analog and operates whatever, just to save on the wiring.

On most other cars they're called Body Control Module and use a CAN-BUS interface.

ZsleepizeZ

Reaction score
All of them say to disconnect the battery, just to make sure us dumb technicians don't make a mistake. Still, no reason to even think about removing the airbag in this case, we've already figured out the horn switch is just fine.

I don't know why they fail, they're basically just a computer and I'm sure the solder points wear out like everything else. All it does is take your analog window command from the switch, convert it to a digital signal and send it to the other multiplex unit where it gets converted back into analog and operates whatever, just to save on the wiring.

On most other cars they're called Body Control Module and use a CAN-BUS interface.

i am not talking about the horn switch.. i was talking about the contact points. cos when you press down the horn the metal contacting points wil have to contact each other for the horn to work.

Back