Progress Of My Retro.

bdeitemeyer

Reaction score
The cutoff actually doesn't look decent if you know what to look for. For instance, the softer light above the cutoff is what causes glare to oncoming traffic. The better projectors have no light above the cutoff whatsoever. Also, looking at the reflection in the window you can see the Integra isn't that far away from the wall. Once that car backs up to 25-35-45 feet you'll really see the quality, or lack thereof, of those projectors.

I understand you're on a very limited budget, but damn I'll help you find a nice set of xenon projectors if that's what it takes. Seeing this makes me cringe. What would your price range be if we were to find a set of projectors to help improve your retro?

brettg4215

Reaction score
What kind of ballast and d2s bulbs are you using?

unless I can find a good deal on some hella, matsush ita's or other oem ballast.
Im probably gonna go with DDM 55w 5000k's or 4500k's.
Here's 5000k.

55w5000k.jpg

brettg4215

Reaction score
The cutoff actually doesn't look decent if you know what to look for. For instance, the softer light above the cutoff is what causes glare to oncoming traffic. The better projectors have no light above the cutoff whatsoever. Also, looking at the reflection in the window you can see the Integra isn't that far away from the wall. Once that car backs up to 25-35-45 feet you'll really see the quality, or lack thereof, of those projectors.

I understand you're on a very limited budget, but damn I'll help you find a nice set of xenon projectors if that's what it takes. Seeing this makes me cringe. What would your price range be if we were to find a set of projectors to help improve your retro?

well don't be hesitant to help me pay for them either lol.
Im probably gonna be starting a new job pretty soon.
sooo ill probably be looking to spend around $100, but if anything....not more than $150.

bdeitemeyer

Reaction score
well don't be hesitant to help me pay for them either lol.
Im probably gonna be starting a new job pretty soon.
sooo ill probably be looking to spend around $100, but if anything....not more than $150.

You can probably get TSX, FX/G, or RX projectors in that price range. I just passed on a deal for RX AFS projectors for $80 shipped on eBay actually. With aftermarket clear lenses, all of those projectors are very nice for their price range. Save up a bit more & you'll really have a great retrofitted set of headlights.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
i have some 300zx clear lenses that are 99% drop-in for the rx330 AFS projectors...if anyone is interested :)

the 1% part will about 10 minutes total (if youre slow with cutting DIY rings from cardboard :lawl: ) and consists of a cereal box or similar cardboard, a sharpie or pen or marker or pencil, and a pair of scissors.

just puttin that out there :)

nixed007

Reaction score
I used some blue painters tape and it peeled of some of the chrome finish off.
So how do I prevent that?

I know you have already passed this step but for others that are using this for a diy... here is some information from a manufacturing engineers view...

The reason the chrome finish peels off so easily is because the plastic base of the headlight is chromed using a vacuum metalizing process. Its a cheap process that gives plastic parts a chrome finish without coating the entire part in a thick base metal and then adding layers of chrome. So with vacuum metalizing there is a base layer applyed "the gold stuff" then the outer layer. The base layer is fumed on and then electromagnetically charge to allow for the outer layer to bond. This leaves an extremely thin top coat allowing the manufacturer to greatly decrease the cost of materials used in each assembly.

Note: You should never use house hold cleaners or abrasive items to clean it because the finish is so thin. As for applying type to it... Try using cling wrap to protect it where you can and only taping areas that you plan to cut and like someone else said wrap the tape around your hand and pull it off a couple times to make it less sticky

Last edited:

CHID0

Reaction score
Note: You should never use house hold cleaners or abrasive items to clean it because the finish is so thin. As for applying type to it... Try using cling wrap to protect it where you can and only taping areas that you plan to cut and like someone else said wrap the tape around your hand and pull it off a couple times to make it less sticky

good info:147703263745b138a51

Back