Quick question about Engine Oil.

BostonAndy

Reaction score
You can start using Lucas when you change your oil. This will give you some extra protection against friction when you are low on oil.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
Personally, I use 10w30 all year round

But only cause I have a worn piston ring gasket.

If you're only a 100K miles, I don't see a problem with using 10w30 in the winter

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
DarkElegance919 said:
would u feel any difference using 10w-30?

not much difference... prob better protection, esp for high mileage motors....and like i said, it depends on the weather too :beer:

talontsiawd

Reaction score
Yes, you can top of your oil. Just make sure that if it's convetional, don't use synthetic, if it's synthetic, don't use conventional. As for brands, i've always been told to just stick to something for the life of the car if possible.

Joepro

Reaction score
10W-30 is only thicker in the winter, they are the same viscosity in the summer, dont bother switching, it will make virtually no difference. If you want thicker in the summer, you would have to go up to 40 weight.

A multi viscosity oil has 2 indications, the xW(0, 5, 10 or 20 usually) This is the viscosity in the "W" or winter (and cold temps, thus winter....) yes the W stands for winter...the -x(20 30 40 50 etc) is the viscosity in the summer, or warmer temps. thus 5w-30 and 10w-30 have the same thickness(flow characteristics) in the summer as well as normal operating temp. The startup viscosity between the 2 in the summer time is negligible.

Bottom line, just use 5w-30, or bump up to 40. This is the recommended action for high mileage vehicles, go to a 40 weight, such a 10w-40.

AND:

I have used pennzoil, mobil clean 5k, and gtx. I like gtx the best. Why? Pennzoil work fine, but I have know a lot of friends with blown motors that only use pennzoil. Mobil clean 5k made my valves noisy, and gtx seems to work fine. In actuality, the differences between conventional oils is also very minute, but I would agree stick with the same brand once you choose.

Yes, you can top of your oil. Just make sure that if it's convetional, don't use synthetic, if it's synthetic, don't use conventional. As for brands, i've always been told to just stick to something for the life of the car if possible.

Check the bottles, most synthetics mix now, I know castol and mobil DO ......but if its a high mileage car(over 75k) I would not put synthetic in, it could knock out essential deposits that have been formed in the motors and cause leaks and premature wear.

Last edited:

hyukki

Reaction score
It turned out that my oil level was fine.

I don't know how it was waaay below the minimum level.

I was about half a quart low.

I bought 2 quarts for nothing pretty much.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
Joepro said:
.....but if its a high mileage car(over 75k) I would not put synthetic in, it could knock out essential deposits that have been formed in the motors and cause leaks and premature wear.

tht's right :thumbsup:

and not to mention tht synthetic burn off quicker than regular dino-oil

Back