Randomly Shut's Off

WestCoastMotor

Reaction score
Alright so I bought a '98 Accord, with the F23A motor about 4 month's ago. The car runs smooth, somewhat. However after about 2 - 3 hours of just normal driving, the car randomly just shuts off, and the car won't start. It doesn't seem to overheat, because the temperature gauge is right in the middle. Any known issues that could cause that issue,and any possible solutions?

T.$.Racing

Reaction score
Main relay. Mine used to do something similar, but only when it was hot out. Sometimes would randomly cut off on the highway while cruising. Takes 30 seconds to change, right under the dash on the drivers side. New OEM ones are $50-60 on ebay, I grabbed one from a junkyard. A ton of cars came with the same relay, I believe I snagged mine from an Acura MDX

Landspeeder

Reaction score
I second the call on the Main Relay. Same symptoms and solution. FYI, if you pull it out, pop off the case, flood the soldier points with a flux pen & resolder the points, then clean with rubbing alcohol that relay will be good as new. Took me about 10 minutes.

Deaner45

Reaction score
It could be a faulty ignition switch. There was a recall from Honda years ago. Mine was replaced by Honda but it was giving me problems again years later. The car would shut off while I was driving, very unnerving. Not too hard to replace it. There are DYI videos online. I also had the main relay problem but that was about the car not starting. Try wiggling the key when it happens again. The contacts in the switch overheat.

T.$.Racing

Reaction score
From what I remember when I was dealing with it, the dead give away to it being the relay was the dash lights. If every light BUT the CEL is illuminated with the key on its the relay acting up. Mine would do this both while driving, and when attempting to start it after sitting all day in the heat while I was at work.

Back