Reclaiming a car that's been sold..

Skyy

Reaction score
Well, about 4-5 months ago, I sold my BMW M3 to a guy in Tennessee.

Just about a week ago, I got a property tax statement in the mail for the M3. At this point im thinking "ah, okay, probably some kind of mix-up. I'll just go to the county clerk's office and get this sorted out."

I sit down and talk to the overwhelmingly nice lady, and she informs me that the M3 is still in my name...

At that point im a little worried. Its been 5 months, and this car has been in my name this whole time? Let alone, the guy I sold my car to had a DUI charge not to long before buying my car, what kind of mischief could I possibly be getting myself into?

So, of course, I tried calling the guy for the past week, but to no avail. No answer and no call or response back.

At this point im pretty worried with the car still being in my name. However, I still legally own it. Do I have the right/means to reclaim the BMW if need be?

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Would be awesome to do the reverse, and like you said Skyy - reclaim the car and take it back haha!

:rofl: Would be nice if the M3 was yours again, instead of rotting while the guy fails to answer and deals with his DUI.

I actually never knew you sold it, every time I seen it in your sig always had good thoughts.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Wait, the guy paid you for the car and never transferred the title? I thought you had to go to a notary & transfer the title to legally sell a car as an individual. So he must have never gotten plates for it then, and hasn't touched it since he took it home, unless he's just driven it anyway.

:thinking: You get paid, then you go get the car back to sell again to someone else... You just may have happened upon the most brilliant money making scam in recent history…though I guess you would have to target alcoholics. :lawl: j/k

I actually never knew you sold it, every time I seen it in your sig always had good thoughts.

+1. It’s definitely one of the prettiest I’ve ever seen. Why did you sell it?

Last edited:

Skyy

Reaction score
Well I got in touch with the guy and apprently he has put it in his name.

So I think im just going to file for an incomplete transfer and be done with it.

Originally I took a loan out to buy the car, and after realizing I didn't want to have payments...sold it and payed it off. But yes, now im in a b16 crx.

However, to this day, I still kick myself for ever getting rid of it.

Im working at BMW right now as a tech, so I plan to make myself drive the crx for a year then sell it and buy a e46 m3 :jerkit:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Damn. CRX from an M3...yikes. Oh well, lesson learned and gives you something to look forward to.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
its not like an e36 m3 is a rare car, he could always get another if he wanted. an e46 sounds better anyway, haha.

no payments > all

speaking of yesterdays motors...:rolleyes:

Back