Renewed appreciation for my car..

av6_sm1ke

Reaction score
And the money I've put into it. Here's the story:

I live in Winnipeg, Canada, and our winters get pretty cold. This weekend it was especially cold, and the temp including windchill averaged -33 to -40* fahrenheit. On top of that, the roads became very icy. I decided to spend the weekend bumming around the house for these reasons.

I didn't end up touching the car from Thursday afternoon to this morning. I had to drop my sister off to work, so I went out to start my car. I was sure it wouldn't start because it had been outside in really cold weather for the past few days, and I hadn't plugged the block heater in since Thursday, before I left for school. So I start the car, cranks slowly at first, but fires up on the first try. Right on. I turn the heater on, and step back inside to warm up while I wait for my sister. Not 5 minutes later, I head back out to the car to brush off a little snow. When I get back in the car, the cabin is nice and warm. Sweet. So I'm thinking, alright, car started fine and my fingers aren't about to fall off anytime soon, but the drive to my sister's job is probably going to be slippery and bumpy as hell. Not the case. It was like I was driving my car in the rain, not in the snow on icy roads. ABS never kicked in once (though it hardly ever kicks in because I use threshold braking). Thank you Cooper CS4 tires. What surprised me the most was my suspension. It held up amazingly well through these cold temps, and it didn't feel strained at all. With my stock shocks, if it ever got really cold and my car had been sitting outside, there would be a very noticeable stiffness when I hit bumps. With my AMRs, there was no evidence of any additional stiffness or any other detrimental effects. The bumps felt as cushioned as they did in the summer, and I didn't bang my strut towers once during the drive, even when slightly tucking the OEM wheels and tires. Thank you AMR coilovers.

Anyway, I have a new appreciation for my car and the money I have spent on it. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

IR II IC IK

Reaction score
Haha i always appreciate my accord for the amazing things it does when i dont expect it. Accord=Clutch. The only problem is. It's slow.

Back