Retro Projectors keep turning on and off??

pyaarawala

Reaction score
Ever since I drove through a huge long puddle, and a couple days later drove through insanely large amounts of rain, my projectors have been acting funny. I have an S2000 retro with toyota denso ballasts and phillips 4300k d2s bulbs. For the past few days, my driver side projector wasn't working, only the passenger side. Then all of a sudden in the morning, both were working again. Then the next day, the driver side died again, and this time, by night time, they were both working again.

Today was when it got really bad. After work at night, I turned on my headlights, and it took about 3 sec for both my projectors to turn on. I was like, w/e, then on my way home, they both just shut off. I was like wtf and I turn on my high beams. Then a couple minutes later, it turns back on, then a couple minutes later it turns off again. It kept turning on and off every few minutes or so for a while. When I got in my garage, it was on, so I turned it off just to test it, and turned it back on, it wasn't working again.

I'm going to take off my bumper tomorrow to see wtf is going on, but any of you have any clue? I was thinking maybe the water screwed something up with my connections to my ballast. The ballast is actually mounted underneath the headlights and my splash guards are destroyed so its possible water got to it, even though I sealed it properly. I'll take pics tomorrow. But does anyone have a clue as to what's going on? I'm hoping it's just a loose connection.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Water prob got in and messed it up. You can also check ur wires to see if they are loose or not. But im thinking you got a water problem. =]

pyaarawala

Reaction score
So if I relocate my ballasts to under the hood, away from the bottom of the car, it might solve the problem? I'm just hoping that my ballasts didn't die or anything and need replacement. Guess tomorrow I'll find out.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
Are they mounted on the metal beam under the headlamps or directly under the lamps ATTACHED to the lamps?

DfeAt01

Reaction score
Check your ballast homie. I had the same thing happen to me. I ended up getting a relay kit and a new ballast (covered by warranty) and I was good to go.

pyaarawala

Reaction score
Just figured out my problem. There's water that somehow got into my ballast. It snuck in from two little slits that are in the ballast (I guess it came like this from Toyota) and every time I turn the ballast in a way so that the slit is facing downwards, due to gravity, water starts leaking out very slowly. Like tiny little drops. Is there a way I can open the ballast and blow dry all the water out of it? Or are my ballasts done for? I'm really hoping there's a way to save my ballasts.

pyaarawala

Reaction score
I'm just going to try to blow dry the crap out of the slits that the water snuck into, and hope I can evaporate all the water inside. It'd be a lot easier if I can open the ballast though.

DfeAt01

Reaction score
Hmmm im not sure how a ballast can be dried out. We have ovens at my job to bake the aircraft indicators when they come in and we open them. I would say its worth a try? What do you have to lose. Just remember if worse comes to worse your going to need a new ballast.

Back