RPM hangs.

NASOHC

Reaction score
Ok, if there's any Honda techs in here, maybe you can help. So I've been trying to get this issue resolved for a while (over a year) with no success. It's no big deal but it can get annoying.

In between shifts, the RPM will hang momentarily for a sec and then drop if I'm slow to shift. If shifting normal to quick, the rpm never falls below the last RPM when the gas pedal was released. It will perform normal under full throttle acceleration though!?!?!

Here's what I've done:

I had a coolant leak on the TB - got better but still does it.
Replaced IACV with another 2 good used units - no change
Adjusted idle through idle speed adj. screw - no luck either

FYI: Every time any of these things were done, I performed the recommended procedures per Mitchell On Demand data. Did Idle re-learn procedure and can't think of anything else to do at this point. No intake/vacuum leaks either. Anyone?

Any ideas?

ALSO: We were able to get rid of this symptom programing the AEM EMS but on my stock ECU, does it every time. I just think it's weird. Sounds kinda weird when shifting sometimes

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
can you feel it in the stick or pedal?

misaligned clutch? pressure plate not tight enough? hmmmmmmmmm...never heard of anything like this...

finch13

Reaction score
PM AFAccord, he posted a vid of his tach and it didn't hang at all.

I've got a lightweight fly and it still hangs between shifts... I think it's just normal, but it is annoying.

NASOHC

Reaction score
can you feel it in the stick or pedal?

misaligned clutch? pressure plate not tight enough? hmmmmmmmmm...never heard of anything like this...

PM AFAccord, he posted a vid of his tach and it didn't hang at all.

I've got a lightweight fly and it still hangs between shifts... I think it's just normal, but it is annoying.

Really? We were able to eliminate it by changing load settings and map on AEM but I doubt that it's a flywheel causing that. I think it did it prior to me even installing my aluminum flywheel.

finch13

Reaction score
That's why I said PM AFAccord because he said he got the responsive tach through tuning, which makes me think the ECU is doing it

michaelp4283

Reaction score
My rpm hangs too. One time, it hung at 1500rpm after i shut my car off!!??? But its also sluggish dropping down between shifts, like it drops in increments of 500rpm. Similar problem, or different?

NASOHC

Reaction score
My rpm hangs too. One time, it hung at 1500rpm after i shut my car off!!??? But its also sluggish dropping down between shifts, like it drops in increments of 500rpm. Similar problem, or different?

Different. Any shifting after 2500 rpm's, the needle will climb 100-200 rpm for a sec while I release pedal then come down. Between that sec though, most people are shifting into next gear and therefore engaging at equal rpm as when gas was released. Just sounds weird with exhaust at times though - if you shift fast enough it's not noticeable by ear by for sure by driver. Unless under full throttle shifting past 5000 rpm's, it won't do it at all. Runs just fine other than that.

Kyle09TC

Reaction score
Did you ever figure this out? i just traded for a 2002 accord f23 5 speed and am having the same issue, its driving me nuts!

Back