Say I were to get subs. . .

beardohio

Reaction score
how many watts will you be running? i believe 5-gauge wiring is good if it's under 500watts. either way, just take it and if it doesn't work very well, use it for ground wiring. =]

400watt amp is what i'm planning on buying, and each sub can only handle 250watts anyone so it'll never get above 500.

If I bought a used box for 2 12"s off of Craigslist, what would be the deal with the holes already drilled for the previous subs in that box? Do they all match up or what?

beardohio

Reaction score
I now have a box, bought it at a flea market yesterday.
Here is a pic of the setup, subs aren't secured, just resting on top of box:
ProfileSubsInBox.jpg

Looking at a different HU now, comes out to be cheaper with free wiring harness and installation gear, opinion?
p020CZ209-f_mt.jpeg

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020CZ209/Clarion-CZ209.html

I'm buying HU and Wiring from Crutchfield and Amp from a member on here

valdivia187

Reaction score

beardohio

Reaction score
To the OP, you should probably redrill the holes. I usually drill them with a 1/8" or 3/23" bit and then use black finish countersunk square drive 1-5/8" decking screws to hold them in.

Box is brand new, no holes drilled. Should I still drill with what you said? And is there anything I need to put in between the sub and the box?

ALSO, to those who build boxes, it obvisouly came sealed, I don't know what with, but I would like to go over all the seals again. What should I do it with?

Last edited:

finch13

Reaction score
Box is brand new, no holes drilled. Should I still drill with what you said? And is there anything I need to put in between the sub and the box?

ALSO, to those who build boxes, it obvisouly came sealed, I don't know what with, but I would like to go over all the seals again. What should I do it with?

Yes, but drill as far away from the hole as the holes in the sub frame will allow (they usually have oval shaped holes). Don't put anything in between, in face what I would do is put the sub on there and then use and exacto or box cutter and remove the carpet around the sub so you get a metal-to-MDF seal. Basically trace the sub with the blade.

You can seal it with liquid nails or 100% silicone caulk if you'd like. Make sure you let it cure before sealing it up as well. Just throw a bead of it along the seams and smear it in with your finger tip.

Depending on how the box was built, you might want to put some extra screws where the MDF panels meet, just to be safe. You'll have to figure out how the panels overlap though. A lot of premade boxes are stapled and not sealed, like QLogic.

beardohio

Reaction score
Yes, but drill as far away from the hole as the holes in the sub frame will allow (they usually have oval shaped holes). Don't put anything in between, in face what I would do is put the sub on there and then use and exacto or box cutter and remove the carpet around the sub so you get a metal-to-MDF seal. Basically trace the sub with the blade.

You can seal it with liquid nails or 100% silicone caulk if you'd like. Make sure you let it cure before sealing it up as well. Just throw a bead of it along the seams and smear it in with your finger tip.

Depending on how the box was built, you might want to put some extra screws where the MDF panels meet, just to be safe. You'll have to figure out how the panels overlap though. A lot of premade boxes are stapled and not sealed, like QLogic.

I understand what you're saying about drilling away from the holes, and i'll see what I can do about cutting away the carpet. Speaking of the carpet it matches my trunk almost perfectly, fits perfect too. I think we have plenty of caulking so I'm planning on doing that on all the seals when I get time.

sw2oboi

Reaction score
Trust me if you want subs, get an aftermarket deck or you won't be too satisfied... Hardest part for me when I installed my system was getting through the firewall. Just make sure you run the power cable down the drivers side of the car and the RCA's down the passenger side

why would you run the power on the drivers side since the battery is on the passenger side?

finch13

Reaction score
why would you run the power on the drivers side since the battery is on the passenger side?

I've ran my power down the driver's side on 3 accords now... it was just easier since the grommet directly behind the intake manifold pops through above the gas pedal.

beardohio

Reaction score
Yeah I have a question about "drilling through the firewall". I've been meaning to look, but do I really make to make a new hole, or is there an existing one I can put the wire through?

Back