Screw g"A"y EM, I'll make my own CAI

dynasty

Reaction score
do you feel any better performance in hp? compare from stock to the mod stock airbox?

Neight

Reaction score
thanks for the V2 daccordian, do you happen to have the rubber ring that goes around the hole to the fender? I don;t want to have the pipe scratch along the metal edge. And I also got the carb sticker. So if you still want the short ram, I can sell it, other wise I'll post it up again.

shavedaccord

Reaction score
I don't see why you couldn't open the inlet enough to retrofit some smooth bent black PVC or even some spare large diameter mandrel bent exhaust. Just fab up a simple square bracket then weld on a slightly larger piece of exhaust pipe (for the custom snorkel to fit into so you can clamp it) cut out the hole on the plate rivet the bracket onto the air box. Shove your custom snorkel into the inlet hole and clamp it down..then just spray paint it black. I know it sounds like allot of work but that would take care of the inlet hole and having to duct tape stuff. You could go far as even flaring the the end of the snorkel for a more OEM look. I Think I might start tackling this project tomorrow.

and_one

Reaction score
^^^do it and show pics...if i think its possible for me to do...ill probably do it

jwl03

Reaction score
have any of you guys considered using dryer hose? I know it sounds super ghetto, but I got a 3" piece of dryer hose from home depot, and used that as a way to fake ram air from outside the bumper cover. I connected one end to the bottom of the stock airbox (getting that to fit was also a b*tch), and connected the other end to those slits in the bumper cover

theaccordian

Reaction score
Ive experimeneted with an number of setups, all this cold air tubing stuff is gimmicky.IMO all it does is cause the air to be more turbulent and travel al longer distance. DIY is not gonna work the same as professinaly built. The setup im using now is no cold air extension, I just cut the inlet whole to the airbox bigger and droppin a KN filter. The stock airbox design sucks up cooler air regardless, if you look at the airbox it shields the inlet whole from the engine bay heat and the inlet whole sucks up air from down through the fender through the whole leading to where the resonator used to be.

Last edited:

Browntown

Reaction score
theaccordian said:
Ive experimeneted with an number of setups, all this cold air tubing stuff is gimmicky.IMO all it does is cause the air to be more turbulent and travel al longer distance. DIY is not gonna work the same as professinaly built. The setup im using now is no cold air extension, I just cut the inlet whole to the airbox bigger and droppin a KN filter. The stock airbox design sucks up cooler air regardless, if you look at the airbox it shields the inlet whole from the engine bay heat and the inlet whole sucks up air from down through the fender through the whole leading to where the resonator used to be.

so then wouldn't directing a more focused flow of air towards the inlet hole of the air box provide more air than it just sucking what it currently is? And wouldn't that provide the same effect as a CAI?

theaccordian

Reaction score
well I opened the inlet whole double its current size. I dont think a CAI extension is worth any significant gain, ut just makes you think your getting better performance. Also no DIY can design a setup as a profeesionaly made cai.

Back