Signs of failing fuel pump?

LX_F23A1

Reaction score
Okay so I was wondering if these are signs of a failing fuel pump.
I also have a CEL for a CYP sensor.

I drive the car alot.....especially on pizza delivery job.

When the car is warm, it randomly dies out, and if i try to start it , it starts up and a second later dies out. If I do it a second time it runs. Some times when starting off in first it stutters like it is not receiving fuel or the ignition is being cut off. And the car slightly jerks.

Whats going on? Any hints or ideas?

finch13

Reaction score
Bad fuel pumps usually cause very hard starting, and they usually either stay running or dont run at all. No start and quit, start and quit stuff.

When was the last time the ignition switch was replaced? Recall?

LX_F23A1

Reaction score
You think its the ignition switch? The previous owner didnt go obviously because i can pull my key out if its in neutral.....

Accord_V6_400m

Reaction score
Don't forget to check the main relay, another common problem :)
The soldered connections get weak in hotter weather and make for poor contacts.

turbo_911

Reaction score
I have a problem with fuel pump too. Usually right before I start the car I can hear it goes "bzzzzzzzz" but today when I tried it doesn't work. I didn't know what to do and went to check the connection in the trunk first and saw it was poorly taped (never noticed that, also no idea if it was replaced or something) and I took off the tape and everything seemed normal, tried to start again and nothing. Then I just left the key in ignition ON and I heard really short "bzzt" noise and then I tried to start the car and it started. It warmed up, I turned it off and tried to start again and it starts, which is weird and I can hear that now fuel pump works, right before you start the car.

So now I don't know what could it be, as in bad connection somewhere or bad fuel pump?

mraw112

Reaction score
It could be the fuel pump strainer is clogged. Ive seen this happen a couple of times, but usually the car doesn't run for long at all. Very simple to test. Just unbolt the fuel line feeding into the fuel rail and have it lead into a bucket. then power the fuel pump with battery. Just have it run for like 3 min making sure the flow is constant.

Drift

Reaction score
Well, If you have a CEL for a CYP light, its probably why the car is stalling. That is an essential sensor for the engine's operation.

I bet has nothing to do with the fuel pump or main relay.

Back