So I'm leaving the accord scene (LONG STORY)

Deviousjet

Reaction score
Hey guys I haven't been on here very long but I didn't think i was gonna keep this car forever anyways. I bought a very clean accord well taken care of, my mom liked it so much that she offered to buy it from me. I'm moving this August Across Country to Tennesee not really taking much but my clothes etc.I'm leaving my bed, and certain other things here. (not really worth carrying everything 2000 Miles etc... BLah blah blah not important

Now what is important is that I'm thinking about getting a light duty pickup truck because though I may not need it now or really even when I move. I do plan on purchasing tables, couches etc when I get there also I plan on getting another S13 somewhere down the road so It would be nice to have a support vehicle and maybe not a trailer but I can tow it with a tow bar or something along those lines. I Don't know much of anything about trucks so I figured I'd ask you guys these are the vehicles that I'm looking at. I'll probably have 5-6k to spend and I don't really want a v8 as gas seems to be on it's always persistent quest to destroy our wallets.

Background on me:
Single guy not married. No Pets, Just me going out there by myself. may buy a dog out there and of course with time get a girlfriend so I don't need to account for the space now but later it could be a possiblity. Not looking to keep the truck forever but I can see me keeping it for at least 5-6 years if it grows on me.

Options:

02-up Ford Ranger 4.0 liter V6
Reason I like this one is that it's one of the v6's in my price range and with 220hp it should have enough grunt to pull a small trailer with the 240sx should it come down to that and it has that tiny space in the back to put kids or dogs or whatever. (not much room though)Also this may be the only option for 4x4 in this price range.

98-02 Nissan Frontier
I like this truck because It's a nissan, also most of these are Manuals. Which I love to drive 5 speeds in a car but in a truck IMO it's retarded.It'll run to 300k miles easily. I know I owned a Nissan pickup with the same motor and to this day the guy I sold it to has 326,000 miles on the thing and it turns on every day no big issues.

96-02 Toyota Tacoma
Same as the Frontier. Very dependable. problem with these is that they are usually very High mileage and to find one were I live in good shape with low miles is a damn near impossible task. they do sell v6's and 4x4's but usually those go for a higher price than what I have probably get a 4 cylinder for what I'm looking to spend. Once again the manual thing is an issue. i could possibly live with it though.

00-04 Ford F-150
V6 once again good power out of their 4.2L v6 and it returns decent mileage 21 city 24 highway. This is the biggest option out of my lineup. The one big issue that I foresee possible nuisance being is the Single Cab. i can find a cab and a half but I imagine that the single cab is what's in my price range with decent miles. I found one locally for a decent price and automatic single cab.

That's about all I see that I would like. If you have any suggestions to add Feel free to chime in. (Not a big fan of Chevy, or Dodge)

Thanks guys.

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
Anyone I've talked to or known loves their Nissan frontier same with Tacoma . I wanted one (crew cab) for the longest time.

On a side note, I live in TN. What area are you moving to?

Check out tennspeed.net

Deviousjet

Reaction score
Hey man I pmed you to tell you where I was moving to. remember I asked for your advice one where would be a good place to move to in Knoxville. Well It turns out I may or may not be moving there exactly. I was looking at Knoxville now, Or Johnson City or Kingsport Tri State area.

Last edited:

Deviousjet

Reaction score
That's the general consensus. To be honest the Tacoma was a long shot for me because of the body styling of these years. But if I had the cash to purchase new. :)....... I would love me a lifted crew cab tacoma. The main problem is that in my area on craigslist. I have 2 tacoma's to choose from right now one has 241,000 miles. and the other is salvage. I'm looking to stay in the 100k's. I know they can go further but I'm looking for a safe bet of reliability until I get settled out there.

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
Hey man I pmed you to tell you where I was moving to. remember I asked for your advice one where would be a good place to move to in Knoxville. Well It turns out I may or may not be moving there exactly. I was looking at Knoxville now, Or Johnson City or Kingsport Tri State area.

O yeah I remember! Trust me! The only places better than Knoxville would be Chattanooga, and the best Nashville. Everywhere else is trash

Deviousjet

Reaction score
Really You like Nashville over Knoxville? WHY!?! The only reason that I was considering the tri city areas is that my line of work I need to be around a lot of manufacturing areas to look for freight so I can get customers that ship things. Are there even a lot of those in the area? Also I don't want to move to any Part of Tennessee that is flat. From what I hear lots of Tornadoes in the flat parts of that state.

AllGOnoSHOW

Reaction score
Well then the Tri-Cities are the place for you if you want industrial areas. Nashville is better than Knoxville because it's bigger, more metropolitan, WAY more community oriented, better education, better job market, and is about the only place in Tennessee that is still growing and not stuck in insanity. Knoxville is nice however Nashville is a lot better, more things to do and more of a people town.

Deviousjet

Reaction score
May I ask what is this "insanity" you speak of? I hear there is alot of crime in Nashville and Memphis though.

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
If you REALLY need a truck, the F150 is going to be the only one that will safely tow a car on a flat bed trailer behind it. But with a V6 it isn't going to get out of it's own way and the gas mileage is going to be pretty damn close to that of the Triton.

I couldn't imagine towing a 3000lb. car on a 800lb flatbed trailer with something like a Ranger or a Taco. I towed a friends 1980 Reg. Cab Chevy stepside to Maine for him with my 07 Ram 2500 and THAT got a little hairy (braking) a few times.

If I needed a truck that would tow a car on your budget, I would be looking for a 1999-2001 Chevy/GMC Silverado Z71 (beefier suspension than 2WD) Regular Cab.

Back