Spark Plug recomendations

jbisselwhiteac6

Reaction score
Ok I got a good question about what kind of plugs are best for our 6thgens and for those of us with coil packs please educate me on the diffrerence between those and regular spark plug wires that orignally went on my 1999 j30a1. The reason I would like to know is because my j32 has coilpacks and now im about to go ahead and change plugs this week.

Gil'sCG6

Reaction score
well the difference is that with the coilpacks the current goes str8 threw the harness and fires the plug theres no distributor involved which is why its called a D.I.S. setup (distributorless ingnition system) and coilpacks do not need to be changed when doing a tuneup they are only changed when they go bad (they are pretty expensive but they outlast any distributor/wire setup). when it comes to plugs i would just go with some ngk's i believe platinum plugs are reccommended no matter the brand for the v6 accords.

Last edited:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Use NGK.

If you suspect you have a bad coil pack, unplug one at a time while the car is running. The car should have a noticeable idle change when you pull the plug out from the coil pack. If you pull the plug on a coilpack and it does not change the idle, that is the bad coil pack. Otherwise, leave them...they are $60+ a piece.

finch13

Reaction score
Look in the owner's manual. I believe they are NGK ZRF511, with some -XX number to indicate platinum or iridium... I think they're iridium though (~$8/plug).

Do not get whatever brand plugs... they do matter. Honda's love NGK and can survive with Denso. GM's use ACDelco, Ford's use Motorcraft, Chrysler's like Mopar, etc. Even the cheaper Champion or Autolite plugs work better on different engines.

DO NOT USE BOSCH PLUGS. ANY FORM OF THEM. THEY ARE ****.

jbisselwhiteac6

Reaction score
Ok Well with that in mind I will stay away from bosch, autolite, and champion. Will there a be a sificantly rough idle with a bad plug in I know I should know this but Im trying to keep an open mind.

Last edited:
Back