Spary tail light tint. Good idea or waste of money and time

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
I like where this thread is going... We know how to tint tails, how about the process of white-out, or clearing tails and making your own red/clears? That would be interesting, and more input from Finch would be nice.

I'd really like red/clear tails, but I'd rather DIY.

finch13

Reaction score
I like where this thread is going... We know how to tint tails, how about the process of white-out, or clearing tails and making your own red/clears? That would be interesting, and more input from Finch would be nice.

I'd really like red/clear tails, but I'd rather DIY.

I'm not 100% sure how to go about this. Unfortunately the 98-00 tails are faded pink (from the factory?), whereas my 5th gen ones were faded yellow from UV discoloration over the years. I didn't use Pactra or Nightshades, I used Kyrlon Semi-Transparent Gray texturizing paint (odd, I know). I tried it on a clear piece of plastic first and noticed as it dried it turned a lighter purple color. It kind of worked for two purposes: tinting and changing hue.

Art Lesson: Tints and shades are the amounts of black and white in a single color. This should be the goal of tinting any sort of light; red tails become deep, dark reds; amber parking lamps become "smoked", etc. I got lucky that the "gray" paint dried purple, because a) it darkened the lens and b) it changed the lens color. There are two different kinds of white, "warm" white and "cool" white (think halogen vs. HID). My discolored yellowish lens painted with a blue color brought them back to a "cool" white, which is detected as "whiter" by the eye.

History Lesson: back in the day, and even present day, people used to "blue" their clothing with a dilute blue dye. Over time white cottons turn yellow from aging and wear, bluing them brought them back to their original white color. This is why your laundry detergent is usually blue.

Sadly, I don't know how you could go about "neutralizing" red back to white. Maybe some sort of plastic bleach? I'm not sure if the plastic pigment bled onto the clear while they made them or if it's simple a red overspray that can be removed or what. I think the only way to get rid of the "custom faded" pink is tint the lights, and if you don't want tint you have to buy the red/clears.

Cpyro

Reaction score
spraying the inside of the lens will most likely last longer as u said. but wont it look completely differen if u spray the outside? lighter if u spray inside darker on the outside?

finch13

Reaction score
No, it looks nearly the same. The texture is different, but the color is the same. Either side, you're blocking light transmittance through the material, just like tinted windows.

Back