Speakers

1radaccord

Reaction score
I was looking to replace my tweeters, my doors, and my rear deck speakers and was wondering what you guys thought would sound the best. And what size to put in the rear and in the doors.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
6.5 doors, 6x9 rear deck. Research on big sites, crutchfield, onlinecarstereo, and buy off amazon for the cheapest. Buy off crutchfield for the included free harnesses so you won't have to do wiring.

SykVSyx

Reaction score
You need to go and listen to the speakers yourself to decide what sounds the best.

Get them to play a cd of music you listen to and adjust the H/U accordingly to give you a better idea of the sound imaging.

schmiddr2

Reaction score
I will assume by how non descriptive the OP is that he means he has some kind of aftermarket radio and wants to spend $100 or less per pair of speakers.

6.5--
JL Audio TR650-CXi
Pioneer TS-G1644R
Polk Audio db651s
JBL P662s

6x9--
JBL GTO928
Polk Audio db691
JBL P963
JL Audio C2-690tx

You don't need a component set for it to sound good, in fact it is harder to make a component set sound great with the tweets all the way up on the dash.

And you don't have to use 6x9 for the rear dash. Can use 2 sets of 6.5" coaxial speakers.

Make sure the depth of the speaker you choose for the front door is less than 2.75" mounting depth.

A speaker can only do so much if the environment it is in is not accommodating, so seal up your door so there are not a bunch of big holes.

lashlee

Reaction score
You need to go and listen to the speakers yourself to decide what sounds the best.

Get them to play a cd of music you listen to and adjust the H/U accordingly to give you a better idea of the sound imaging.

I couldn't have said it better myself!!! Support your local retailers!!

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
Sound deadening is a BIG step-up for improving sound quality. (I used to be a sound-system-maniac for the previous car I had.)

I would use Dynamat to cover bare metal areas of your door panels & seal up all of those holes (from fist-sized holes to small screw holes). The idea is to create your whole door as "sealed speaker box" as much as possible.

Trust me on this. If you do this, even if you have stock speakers, you will feel like you just bought a set of a named brand speakers.

Upgrading speakers only themselves will not give you a great deal of sensation. Choosing speakers is only important when you think about genre of music you listen, and compatibility with your headunit & amp(s).

EDIT: I just figured out that you aren't really new to sound system. My bad... If you already know about this stuff, pls ignore... Oh well, since this might help others being new to their project, I'm leaving my comment as is.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^Good info. I keep thinking about upgrading the speakers, but I’m not very picky about audio and the factory speakers sound pretty good to me haha. But if I did upgrade it would only be the door and rear deck speakers, I just want nice clean sound with maybe a little more bass, but I don’t want a sub. And I don’t want to mess with a new HU, amp, etc.

Is there a decent set of Alpines, Kenwoods, Pioneers or something that you can just swap in w/o having to upgrade wiring, etc?

SykVSyx

Reaction score
Is there a decent set of Alpines, Kenwoods, Pioneers or something that you can just swap in w/o having to upgrade wiring, etc?

It doesn't have to be the low end ones, but you can definately go with some of the following:

Alpine - Type S
Kenwood - Sport/Performance Series
Pioneer - G Series

You COULD use your factory wiring, but because you are upgrading the speakers, you should consider going with some 12ga wiring for them as well. They are going to draw more current over the factory wiring, better to at least use some upgraded wiring as well.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
How does the speaker wire run to the front and rear speakers? How much do you have to take apart to replace it?

SykVSyx

Reaction score
This should be helpful.

http://www.autotoys.com/New_Tech/DIY/accspeak/accspeak.htm

You'll have to take off the doors and then you can run the wiring through the door and under the dash for the fronts.

For the rears, you run the wiring down the side of the seats and along the door trim and again, up under the dash.

Not alot has to be removed, really, you can access the rear speakers through the trunk.

Back