Speedometer drops to zero

Jordan_H

Reaction score
It was actually my alternator that was the issue. I just replaced that and my car is fine again and the tachometer works but sadly my speedometer still doesn't work. I'm going to take it to my friend who's decent with wiring this weekend and try and figure it out. If not I will dm you on Instagram or you can add me on Facebook Jordan Harmston

jask488

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone please help me with my problem, my speedometer, odometer and that meter on the left further part, sometimes they work, sometimes they dont, they all stop and start working at the same time. Is it the wiring or do i have to replace something in my gauge?

james'99

Reaction score
Hi, can anyone please help me with my problem, my speedometer, odometer and that meter on the left further part, sometimes they work, sometimes they dont, they all stop and start working at the same time. Is it the wiring or do i have to replace something in my gauge?

Sounds like you have a power issue. Does the car stall? If it's just the gauges, check all fuses carefully paying special attention to ones labeled backup. What you could also do is run the car and pull logical fuses one by one and replace ones that make it stop working by pulling it out to rule out a possibly intermittent fuse issue.

jask488

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a power issue. Does the car stall? If it's just the gauges, check all fuses carefully paying special attention to ones labeled backup. What you could also do is run the car and pull logical fuses one by one and replace ones that make it stop working by pulling it out to rule out a possibly intermittent fuse issue.

the only time the car stops working is when the battery gets discharge, but thats just my fault.

Jordan_H

Reaction score
Well today I went to finally take my car on a drive for the first time in about 2 months. Started it to let it warm up and the radio had shut off. I tried to get it to turn back on and that was a failed attempt so I shut off the car seeing if restarting it would help. Well on acc it still didn't turn on and now my car wouldn't start and my battery has power and the terminals are not loose. Have a feeling that maybe my ecu is bad.

Jordan_H

Reaction score
Alright I have made progress. My radio turned off when I touched my brakes. It didn't come back on. My tachometer also did that when I touch the brakes. I made a video of it I can post if that helps

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Jeebus...

You have a car from hell!

All I can really think of (atm, I'll keep thinkin) a ground?

That's the only thing that may be shared...

Jordan_H

Reaction score
tell me about it... I want to set it on fire and send it to hell and collect insurance :lawl: I also thought it might be a ground. So my tachometer and radio shut off if I turn on headlights, step on the brakes, or turn up the speed of air flowing through the car. Possibly might still not be getting a charge from the alternator? If I have it hooked up to a jump box on trickle charge all things work. (Unsure if vss works with that because I can't move with it connected and I haven't jacked it up to check. )

Varnell

Reaction score
Have you checked that all grounds connected to the battery and alternator are tight? Mine were lose on my sedan and all sorts of strange electrical things happened.

Is your car throwing a CEL for the transmission speed sensor?

james'99

Reaction score
Saw the video.

6GA forum --> :pokeowned: <--Jordan's Car

Check grounds and all fuses paying special attention to fuses labeled backup. They truly make things go funky when they are bad.

Brake lights actually work?

Does the radio lose its settings when you hit the brake? I'm just interested if it loses just the accessory signal and that's why the gauge goes out? Does your temp gauge fall and the odometer go out?

I think it is something wrong with the illumination circuit causing this issue. It could be a bad driver multiplexer.

Unplug the radio just to rule out that causing an issue.

Last edited:
Back