Speedometer drops to zero

james'99

Reaction score
Apparently, VSS short will cause the ECU fuse to blow? It seems that way anyway. Gonna pass these threads to you Jordan.

http://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/i-keep-blowing-ecu-fuse-stumped-1853103/
http://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/ecu-cruise-control-fuse-blown-blows-50372/

Can you check your codes again? How I would do it is start the car and run it for about 10 minutes without touching the brake because I think when you touch that brake, it may be actually clearing the ECU memory. So once its run for ten minutes, plug in with it still running and see what you've got.

Then, after that, I would press the brake and read codes again to see if it decreases or increase the codes. Hit the brake a few times before checking codes again.

Last edited:

Jordan_H

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it will run for 10 minutes because the alternator is not charging the battery at all. Maybe if I have it hooked up to the trickle charged.

It's too bad the ecu has an immobilizer so I can't just use another to test real quick

Jordan_H

Reaction score
According to my wiring diagram this is all that is run off that fuse

Alternator, Cruise control unit, Cruise main switch indicator, ECM/PCM, ELD
unit, Engine mount control solenoid valve (A/T), Evaporative emission bypass
solenoid valve, Evaporative emission purge control solenoid valve, Gauge
assembly, Heated oxygen sensor relay, Primary and secondary heated oxygen
sensors, Vehicle speed sensor (VSS) (M/T), Vent shut solenoid valve

I heard of O2 sensors for others causing an issue like this so I will give those a check but so far all my grounds have looked good and I haven't found any pinched wires

Jordan_H

Reaction score
Before I did what you had said, James. I unplugged my alternator. Fuse had still blown. Unplugged front O2 sensor. (Air fuel) and still fuse had blown. Unplugged my vss and the fuse had blown. Then I did what you said and I right away it had shown a new code thank god. P1298 for ELD and two others p0135 and p0141 for bank 1 O2 sensor. Had it run for 10 minutes and nothing new happened. CEL for the vss isn't there anymore. Apparently the ELD is known to fail. I'm going to replace that because online people said there really isn't a way to diagnos that,

Last edited:

james'99

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it will run for 10 minutes because the alternator is not charging the battery at all. Maybe if I have it hooked up to the trickle charged.

It's too bad the ecu has an immobilizer so I can't just use another to test real quick

You mean test the ECU with another car? You can! When you go to start the car, just hold the back of your key to the back of their key when you're turning their key in the ignition. Once its started, its started so you can pull away and let it run.

You can safely unplug the downstream O2 temporarily to rule that out.

Jordan_H

Reaction score
Awesome. Looks like I'll have to find someone who can help me out lol

I'm going to get a replacement ELD tomorrow and see if that fixes anything.

Back