Steering wheel shakes like crazy when braking on highways

accordman1

Reaction score
I recently bought replacement brembo blank rotors and pads in May. I installed them and everything seemed fine. After a while I had a lot of brake dust too much to even bother cleaning rims. I then had squeaking noises coming from front. The steering wheel shook too a little when braking at higher speeds. I only have front brakes the rears are drums. I bought new slotted/drilled rotors, and Akebono ceramic brake pads. Since I was told my rotors were warped. The shop installed them yesterday and he took the car for a test drive. He said it feels weird on the front right but that might be because of the slotted rotors since they are chromed. I drove it home and it seemed fine but when I hit brakes a little harder the steering wheel shakes side to side. Now tonight I was going down the highway about 50-60 and I tried to slow down to test them but not slamming on my brakes. The steering wheel shook like crazy thought I was gonna loose control. I never have felt anything like that in a car. The last rotors and pads were a lot better then that at those speeds. I am not sure what the problem is. I called the shop and they said could be calipers since I don't think mine have ever been replaced. If anyone knows anything or has had similar problems please let me know asap. Thanks

jccg5

Reaction score
is be your rotor but now is change so is must be your caliper that warp and bended...so yea !!

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Rotors are warped if you didn't break them in properly. Highly doubt it'd be your calipers, which by the way, should never need replaced.

accordman1

Reaction score
Rotors are warped if you didn't break them in properly. Highly doubt it'd be your calipers, which by the way, should never need replaced.

What do you mean rotor. They were put in one day ago. I am trying to break them in as of now and they told me to also. I don't see how it can be the rotors if they are brand new only been driven on 2 times so far.

blacknight

Superman, uh mod
Reaction score
If you have new rotors and new pads at the same time, the steering wheel will vibrate till they mate each other.
It happened to me also. About a week or less (or 100 miles) you should notice them starting to smooth out

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
What do you mean rotor. They were put in one day ago. I am trying to break them in as of now and they told me to also. I don't see how it can be the rotors if they are brand new only been driven on 2 times so far.

I say the rotors b/c you said you installed new ones in may and then they warped within like 2 months...tada...you didn't break them in properly and they warped, you could've just had them turned for like $25 instead of buying all new. Either you or the shop made an install error or you think that a few hours of beating on them is breaking them in, well it isnt.

I've had brembo blanks and slotted rotors - only the slotted ones warped (twice actually) but the first time was after a year or more and the 2nd time was about 6mo later cuz I just beat on them after they were turned. Trying to brake on the highway at 50-60mph with new brakes is not a good idea.

Go back to the shop, see if they're warped, if they are then get them turned, then take it easy on them for about a week. No braking at any speed higher than 50mph.

Back