Tanabe NF210 and H&R Sport

drey

Reaction score
The drops aren't the same but they are close: Tanabe 1.2F / 0.8R, H&R Sport 1.5F / 1.2R

I'm more interested in the ride quality i.e. comfort. Considering that my stock springs are way past their prime, I'd like to consider a softer spring with a moderate drop. Is there a significant difference between these two springs with regards to comfort?
The roads where I live can be pretty bad in certain spots in the city with cracked pavement, pot holes and bumps. Looking for something that I won't hate driving on daily.

I already have a set of H&R Sports in my garage but if the Tanabe's will be much more comfortable, then I want them. If not, then I'll save my money.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Unless you order springs with custom spring rates, there is not much difference between drop springs in terms of ride comfort. The less of a drop they give, I suppose they could ride softer, but that also depends on if you use struts with dampening adjustability. Speaking of which, I would pair drop springs along with some aftermarket struts.

Last edited:

drey

Reaction score
I'm no expert on suspensions but having read so much. Basing on spring rates, wouldn't even 1kg/mm make a difference in ride comfort? I know that tech specs should be taken with a grain of salt. Even with that said specs given from Tanabe suggest that their NF210 springs are 4.1 / 2.5, which they state shouldn't be more than 5% stiffer than OEM. There's no real technical specs on H&R products but if I had to guess, they might be similar to Tein S-tech springs 5.3 / 3.2. I don't know what 1kg/mm means and how different it is... but judging from comments with all sorts of car forums, the Tanabe's are a nice ride and the H&R sports are on the stiffer/harsher feel but then you'll always get someone who had rode in both and say it's no different.

truWarier02

Reaction score
Tein H-Tech or S-Tech is what you should be considering if you want comfort and a moderate drop.

My first setup was S-Tech on OEM shocks (which is not really recommended) but for the time I had it, it was fine. Just make sure you pair them with some aftermarket shocks such as Tokico HP/Illumina, Koni Sport, etc. That should be just fine for you.

edit: Just noticed that you already have H&R Sports. Might as well keep those and just upgrade your shocks!

drey

Reaction score
Tein H-Tech or S-Tech is what you should be considering if you want comfort and a moderate drop.

My first setup was S-Tech on OEM shocks (which is not really recommended) but for the time I had it, it was fine. Just make sure you pair them with some aftermarket shocks such as Tokico HP/Illumina, Koni Sport, etc. That should be just fine for you.

edit: Just noticed that you already have H&R Sports. Might as well keep those and just upgrade your shocks!

After years of reading comments about performance shocks versus other aftermarket shocks that have a slightly stiffer valving, I have to say from my own experience that performance shocks - Koni Sport which I currently have, is not for everyone. The cracks, bumps, pot holes are more pronounced on these shocks and at certain times have been intolerable.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Did you have the Koni's firmed up at all? On their softest setting, Yellows are only 20% stiffer than stock...not much difference really. My first setup was Yellows with Eiback Pro Kit springs...the ride with the struts on their softest setting was mildly firmer than OEM, which at the time I was happy with.

Last edited:

drey

Reaction score
They're on the softest settings and I actually had H&R sports paired with them. Now I'm on OEM springs and my experience tells me that the springs are old and are mismatched because when I'm going 70-80mph, I have to have both hands on my steering wheel to make the small adjustments.
I should clarify that the ride is for the most part smooth and OK when driving smooth roads and highways. However in town old roads that haven't been maintained and damaged by four seasons including snowplows that ruin the roads, performance shocks will be less forgiving on those cracks, pot holes and bumps.

Last edited:

drey

Reaction score
Here are some numbers for spring rates of different. If these numbers mean anything, one would think the Tanabe NF210 will be softer than H&R Sport. I've heard many people say that the Eibach ProKit is softer than the Sport. Not to generalize but normally drivers from SoCal aren't the greatest to ask about comfort because most of the roads there are butter smooth - I know because I used to live there.

4.1/2.5... 230/140 nf210
4.2/3.7... 236/206 progress sport
4.4/2.7... 246/154 prokit
h&r oe... 10-15%
4.6/2.6... 257/145 df210
4.8/2.5... 268/140 htech
5.1/3.2... 285/180 neuspeed sport
5.3/3.2... 297/179 stech
h&r sport... 25-30%
7.0/4.0... 392/224 tein ss coils
8.6/5.5... 480/310 neuspeed race
8.2/5.6... 460/315 hr race