Timing Belt and Water Pump chage problem...

toomtoomvroom

Reaction score
I bought my parts from South Bay Honda aka hondapartscheap.com.

I STILL DON'T GET WHY YOU GUYS CHEAP OUT ON CRUCIAL PARTS.

It's like going to a physical therapist for brain surgery... sure they're in the same business, but the brain surgeon will do it right.

Your analogy doesn't follow. Physical therapist and brain surgeon are two totally different types of treatment.

As far as cheapin out on products, it's about cost benefit analysis.

For $300 you get OEM parts that let say hypothetically get you another 75k miles.

Whereas for $150 which is half the price, you get aftermarket parts that let's say get your 60k miles.

If you had use engine oil as an analogy, it would follow better. Why would you cheap out on 76 or Chevron Oil when for a few more bucks you can get Mobil 1 or Amsoil.

Basically because it's a cost benefit analysis.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
OK i finally had a chance do do something =) (been in school and work for the past two days, just took bus there)

so i may have mistaken the rear balance shafte with the water pump. :doh:
the water pump is a little further up hehe. so ill get that replace soon. oh mines a four cylinder by the way.

the reason for the plasticy noise was a loose tensioner so yea which leads me to the next questions, would or could that hurt my engine? (not properly timed balance shafts)
and also ive been looking for pictures so i can align mine properly but i could find good ones that could explain it well.

God yes, the tension-er needs to be SOUND. If its making sounds, you should have bought a new one. A loose timing belt means skipped teeth which means engine damage.

toomtoomvroom

Reaction score
OK i finally had a chance do do something =) (been in school and work for the past two days, just took bus there)

so i may have mistaken the rear balance shafte with the water pump. :doh:
the water pump is a little further up hehe. so ill get that replace soon. oh mines a four cylinder by the way.

the reason for the plasticy noise was a loose tensioner so yea which leads me to the next questions, would or could that hurt my engine? (not properly timed balance shafts)
and also ive been looking for pictures so i can align mine properly but i could find good ones that could explain it well.

Try this Video, pretty good walk through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmasxgJdXJ8

MARSHIN2

Reaction score
my balancing shaft belt was skipping not my timing. would the balance belt skipping cause damage or just vibrations?

MARSHIN2

Reaction score
yay! so i finished =) everything is aligned, tensioned and well.

its great driving normally, but it feels as if when i drive aggressively, it feels less responsive. the rpms take time to get up there, and starts feel slower.

then again i haven't driven in a while so its all maybe just a feeling.

but is there any thing that could cause that, over tensioning, or maybe vtec wont activate due to lower oil, (spilled some, valve cover wasn't on and i ran the car a little. it spilled out a bit.)?

what could cause this? thanks!!

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
yay! so i finished =) everything is aligned, tensioned and well.

its great driving normally, but it feels as if when i drive aggressively, it feels less responsive. the rpms take time to get up there, and starts feel slower.

then again i haven't driven in a while so its all maybe just a feeling.

but is there any thing that could cause that, over tensioning, or maybe vtec wont activate due to lower oil, (spilled some, valve cover wasn't on and i ran the car a little. it spilled out a bit.)?

what could cause this? thanks!!

Why did you run the car without the valve cover? If you got any oil on the timing belt, you'd better clean it off or get a new belt.

Low oil will cause a Diagnostic trouble code and it is possible that vtec will malfunction

MARSHIN2

Reaction score
Why did you run the car without the valve cover? If you got any oil on the timing belt, you'd better clean it off or get a new belt.

Low oil will cause a Diagnostic trouble code and it is possible that vtec will malfunction

haha i had it lifted like 1 cm up, i didn't expect it to shoot out so much.
my belt is fine tho most of the oil went on the other side.

so do you think that's the only thing that would cause this lack of response?

Back