Today i got a Turbo Quote!**UPDATED** PG 5!

turboputz

Reaction score
Re: Today i got a Turbo Quote!

Well, I'll be honest, I didn't read the whole thread, but guess what I have an oppinion anyways.

First, just read more threads on turbocharging. There are plenty of parts lists on plenty of forums. Whether it's a B18 or F23 doesn't really matter, it's all the same. You need a manifold, turbo, BOV, intercooler, fuel pump, tuning solution, etc., etc. etc.

If you want 250whp it has to be built, period.
You could probably run 6-7 psi on the stock block for 25-30k miles assuming compression was strong and even across all cylinders to start.

My advice is save up $5,000. Then seriously think about whether you want to spend it on turbocharging. I would prefer to have a Bank of America Cerrtified Deposit that earns me money, than an unreliable money pit that depreciates and is not liquid. That's just me.

mraw112

Reaction score

Well, I'll be honest, I didn't read the whole thread, but guess what I have an oppinion anyways.

First, just read more threads on turbocharging. There are plenty of parts lists on plenty of forums. Whether it's a B18 or F23 doesn't really matter, it's all the same. You need a manifold, turbo, BOV, intercooler, fuel pump, tuning solution, etc., etc. etc.

If you want 250whp it has to be built, period.
You could probably run 6-7 psi on the stock block for 25-30k miles assuming compression was strong and even across all cylinders to start.

My advice is save up $5,000. Then seriously think about whether you want to spend it on turbocharging. I would prefer to have a Bank of America Cerrtified Deposit that earns me money, than an unreliable money pit that depreciates and is not liquid. That's just me.

You dont have to be built to have 250whp, and it doesnt cost 5000 to get there. Also the engine will last more that 30k.
What causes engines to blow is usually bad tuning. Either the combustion temps are too high, or there is detonation. Im going to go ahead and say that I think that 300whp+ more than possible on a stock block.
Does any one know if our blocks have oil squirters?

valdivia187

Reaction score

You dont have to be built to have 250whp, and it doesnt cost 5000 to get there. Also the engine will last more that 30k.
What causes engines to blow is usually bad tuning. Either the combustion temps are too high, or there is detonation. Im going to go ahead and say that I think that 300whp+ more than possible on a stock block.
Does any one know if our blocks have oil squirters?

Im not sure... ima get it P&P for sure... and change the valves/rods/pistons/ lil things like that just to be on a safer side

turboputz

Reaction score

mraw112, I get it, you just see things differently. You prefer to do things the cheap way and you don't care about 100% reliability. Sure you can slap a chinese turbo on there, ebay intercooler, OBDI conversion with chrome, a wideband, a 1g dsm Bov, a MBC and make 250whp for some months until something breaks.

If I were to turbocharge I'd be using names like Garrett, tial, walbro, precision, RC engineering, and despite whatever legal gossip, Hondata. And if I had already made that kind of investment I damn sure would get forged pistons and rods. F-series iron sleeves are reported to be good for 15psi.

I know about detonation and I know the importance of tuning. Still, there are limitations on the forces that a stock cast piston and stock rings will hold up to.

Hey maybe you can run 12 psi for 80,000 miles on your stock block, no problems. Maybe you're just blessed like that.

Me, I'd rather drive something that I know won't grenade and leave me stranded.

Last edited:

valdivia187

Reaction score

yea its only gonna be my weekend driver.... and i dont wanna invest too much into it u know.. when i think about it... it is a 6GA and the engine will be worth more then the title lol

turboputz

Reaction score

Im not sure... ima get it P&P for sure... and change the valves/rods/pistons/ lil things like that just to be on a safer side

Rods and pistons are not little things bud. They are the heart of your engine.

I just think you're taking this project and breaking it into little steps/parts with no logical approach, and without understanding the big picture.

Crower rods are damn near $800 last time I checked.

Building an engine is not cheap either.

When you really start to get into it, you'll realize that $1,500 is a drop in the bucket compared to what it takes to really do it right.

IMO, do it right or don't bother. I'm not the only one here who thinks that way.

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score

Me, I'd rather drive something that I know won't grenade and leave me stranded.

exactly. i dont want to see you back here after a few months saying their is a hole in your block or the fins of the turbo exploded.

i will give you some help

cheapest way to get 250whp
used t3t04e 60
drag manifold
dsm bluetops
better than oem pistons and piston rings
ebay IC pipes
homemade MBC
used tial wg

and the normal other stuff: couplers, clamps,etc

if you want to cut costs on other things: no IC, BOV, boost gauge, headwork

after all tht, its pretty cheap

valdivia187

Reaction score

IMa go talk to a tuner that a member recommended me to yesterday... ima se what his 02 is on my project....he'll be able to tell me more specific... im willing to drop like 5k into my rides engine tops

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score

u def need to do more homework and research.... u dun seem to know the magnitude of a boosting an accord properly, in both $$ and knowledge

Back