Tranny issue =(

RedAccord02

Reaction score
Hello I have this 02 accord coupe auto of course well the tranny kinda bumps going from 2nd to 1st when im coming to a stop or slowing down enough for it to do it. Thats about the only time i feel it doing anything out of the ordinary i know the accords are known for their bad tranny's just wondering has anyone dealt with this problem and how long did it last them till it died, does it get worse as far as slipping in other gears. i did the cycle changed the tranny fluid with 9 qts of honda atf fluid did nothing. Some Lucas stop slip didnt help either so now its a waiting game and gathering my money for my new/rebuilt tranny the car has 78k miles. Please dont start sayin search or this has been asked before this is a problem thats particular to me so any info would be appreciated

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Sorry to break it to ya, but you are having signs of tranny failure. Mine had the exact same thump from second to first gear.

I bet your drive shafts have a lot of play in them, later on you will probably start leaking some fluid.

cajun

Reaction score
HondaLuver - we've argued about this before. No desire to do that again. I have no doubt that a bad 2-1 shift led to your trans crapping out.

RedAccord - you may or may not have a problem. When I'm doing a rolling stop the 2-1 shift usually doesn't come until 4-5 mph. That may be the "bump" you're feeling and it's normal. It's more pronounced if I roll to about 5 mph and then push the gas pedal, forcing the 2-1 shift. Mine has done it from day one and I've confirmed it with several other 2.3L owners.

On the other hand, if it's clunking/slamming into gear and/or the RPMs flare during the shift you have a problem. Try to find another 6thGen on a car lot to drive to see if you get the same feel.

F23A1AT

Reaction score
^^^ this happened to me since I got the car. Longggg before the tranny went out. Red lights that go green as you approach them ughh.

JMillerUA6

Grillin' rape steaks
Reaction score
I would have to agree with Cajun. My 2.3 did this on occasion as well, but I never had any issues. Also, when my tranny was cold it would often shift VERY hard between 2 & 3, but it did that the entire 2.5 years I owned it.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
mine has the "delay" into first...sucks when you have to hit the gas hard to get up a driveway or get through a gap in traffic since you can tell the car doesn't like it...

pretty much been doing that since 06 or so...maybe 20k miles...and only once in a while will it shift "harder" into 4th.

RedAccord02

Reaction score
I hate red lights cuz i know its gona do that bump its pretty violent and you can tell its there happens about 5mph right b4 you come to a complete stop and if you dont let it shift and hit the gas the car wont forgive you itll just start jumpin and shaking. I always let it coast real slow to let it do its thing if the light turns green the other drivers gona have to wait lol.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
exactly :lawl:

i drive other cars the same way as mine, just cause i'm so used to it :lawl:

cajun

Reaction score
After telling you it might be okay...if it's "pretty violent" and the car is "jumping and shaking" you have more going on than the normal 2-1 shift.

RedAccord02

Reaction score
lol yeah i was driving my girls camry and i slow down and im waitin for it waitin for it but its just smooth im like oh wrong car. Cant say its normal cuz every crappy car ive always had ive never noticed this until now. so i gotta say there is a problem i just hope it dont get worse ill live with it.

Back