Tuning obd2

SuperMidget

Reaction score
I need some questions answered about tuning.

I understand what tuning is, but HOW to tune, i'd like to learn here.
I'm thinking it's a computer hook up with some car software that allows you to tweek your air fuel etc. But I want to know the average cost at the dyno-garage, and also curious on chipping ECU's.. who does this? what excatly is involved?

and...

When is it necessary to tune?
-when porting your head?
-upgrading plugs/wires?

I thought that the ECU would compensate prior to sensing the lean mixture.. and command more fuel to be injected... am i mistaken?

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score

I'm thinking it's a computer hook up with some car software that allows you to tweek your air fuel etc. But I want to know the average cost at the dyno-garage, and also curious on chipping ECU's.. who does this? what excatly is involved?

and...

-when porting your head?
-upgrading plugs/wires?

I thought that the ECU would compensate prior to sensing the lean mixture.. and command more fuel to be injected... am i mistaken?

i would not reccomend you trying to tune your own car. if you are interested, i would say find a local tuner who you can watch and see what he does. air fuel is not something you want to mess with without knowledge. you could seriously mess up your car

most tuners i know (obd-i street tuners) work from 80-200 per tune depending on what you want tuned, i.e. how much work has to be done and how much accessories you want.

you should tune when you do a major engine mod. turbo, sc, nitrous, lowering cr. now you can tune your intake for maxing out power, but it is for only a few more hp and usually cost you mpg.

but this is all for not since obd-ii has very few options for tuning

Totalimmortal

Reaction score

and...

-when porting your head?
-upgrading plugs/wires?

Searching is going to be your best friend.

Back