V6 brakes

Toyojake

Reaction score
Been searching for a while about the legend gs caliper swap and need a few answers I couldn't find. Is there a rotor upgrade for the Av6, or is the prelude rotor just for the 4 cyl guys? What are all of the brackets? I have seen talk of 23t, 25t, 28t, and T28. Not sure which ones come with which car, what works for the swap...etc. if anyone can clear that up for me it would make it a lot easier. Planning to do the swap, possibly upgrade the rotors, add SS lines, and run ebc pads. Thanks.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Good questions, I actually was wondering about all those things myself, in the back of my mind. Never took time to pursue it yet.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
for the AV6, just get the legend calipers... tht'll improve braking without needing to modify anything else

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Well right, but what about even bigger and badder options Roy? Like the guy who's got RL calipers, or the Brembo calipers with deep dish rotors on his H22 silver sedan etc. Those are baller setups. Legend swap is 'budget-baller' upgrade, you see what i'm saying?

How to achieve them other setups, and what brackets to use, what rotors to use, in combination to which brackets and with which calipers to get the BEST setup?

Those are all question's I'd be interested in. Would be nice to compile a Brake Upgrade Thread, where all the variants are discussed with exact specs to achieve desired outcomes on different setups, so people could quick look and already know what parts to get for what setup, instead of doing what others did: figuring out their individual setups without posting the info, and then others who want those setups needs to re-invent the wheel for themselves.

I'm not talkin about the Legend caliper swap, I'm talking about correctly doing and listing out all specs for other baller brake setups.

Last edited:

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
gotcha..

imho, the biggest issue is the bracket... any rotor/caliper combo can work if:

1. a custom bracket is fabricated (and it won't cost much anyways)
2. the calipers clear the rims

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Awesome, thanks for those basics man. So about brackets.. Which brackets are needed for like RL calipers? Which ones did the guy use for Brembo calipers? Who makes custom caliper brackets, and how is it easy? I've never heard of a shop doing that even..

Would it just take caliper choice, wheel/offset choice, and then measurement for a custom bracket fabrication?

Thanks!

finch13

Reaction score
I did the V6 caliper swap.

On the 4cyl: use 4-lug Prelude rotors (11")
On the 6cyl: just use you current rotors.

11.8" rotors will be too big to fit the bracket over.

Toyojake

Reaction score
So the 11.8" rotors would be too big for the av6 brackets. What about the TL brackets or the legends brackets?

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
^ Exactly, we are wondering about bracket/rotor/caliper combinations to yield the nastiest brake setup, such as the RL or Brembo setups we have seen... regardless of wheel offset, or bracket fitting over rotor. Wheels would be picked out accordingly, to fit the badass brake setup.

- Nikita

PS i also did 5-lug swap from a 1998 V6. Calipers were the same size as my I4 calipers. The rear calipers, were way smaller than any other rear calipers I have seen (I4 or V6!) I have no idea what pads or replacement pad brackets to get, as one of my pad brackets broke..

There are a LOT of specific questions I have as far as brakes go haha. I'll ask them with time. To start - why would my I4 have V6 brakes on it, or why did that V6 have I4 brakes on it? I don't get it.. But how it worked out is very weird. The only 'upgrade' I got with my 5-lug swap it seems - is the 5th lug in itself. I didn't get the bonus larger calipers, or I did, but I originally had them on my I4 already? Weird..

Last edited:
Back