vis carbon fiber trunk install (need lock help)

fuq777

Reaction score
I know I made a post about this already, but I dont think anyone has read it for what I needed help on.

98 accord 2 door. I just bought my CF shaved trunk, cf evo hood, body kit, and ect. I first tried to install the easy one...the CF shaved trunk.

Ok here are the problems;

1. break light error is coming on the dash on the visual diagram of the car (red light says break light)
2. trunk lock isn't working by ;
a. the cable
b. the electric motor

I have tried to hook up the lock for just the cable because I dont use the electric servo, however I would like to have the ability to use the electric server. I have the wiring ran for the lock, but I am unable to attach the servo motor to the truck where the lever for the lock attaches because there isn't a mounting hole behind the lock. Where would be a mounting hole is just open and where I could mount it at is the top of the trunk...which i am not drilling into.

Has anyone installed this VIS carbon fiber trunk on their car and ran into any of these problems? What am i missing to make the cable part work and also is it possible to hook the electric motor to the trunk. Do any wires have to be hooked to the lock for this to function besides the "cable" part of the lock? Lastly how can i make the "brake light" indicator on my dash turn off without having to remove the bulb? Thanks for looking and sorry about the double post but I didn't get any assistance when I posted this the first time.

Tphong

Reaction score
Haha sorry I completely forgot. Well I believe the light that comes up on the dash says brake. When I got that light one of my brake lights were out. And that cable problem can you unlock trunk with the key? and can you open your trunk from the driver side lever thing.

fuq777

Reaction score
Ok, i have the trunk able to open, but its only after I pull the lever by the drivers seat about a dozen times. It seems like the cable is just too long for the placement of the lock which seems wierd because everything is in the same location as the last one.

How do you remove one of the springs from the trunk? I removed the speakers out of the rear deck, but these damn springs dont want to move at all!

Tphong

Reaction score
Maybe the cable is loose that's the only guess I can come up with. If you can't open your trunk with your key then I'm pretty sure that something's loose or out of place. Well one thing I would look at is if the locking placement is the same as the oem one. I believe the lock for the trunk had to be put in a certain way. The spring I don't know about it. From what I'm guessing from the previous post is that the guy was talking about the 2 rods under the rear speakers in the trunk and I'm guess that you would have to remove them through the trunk, I don't think you have to remove the speakers. I would assume that those rods are being held in by bolts? I don't have my car here to take a look.

Tphong

Reaction score
Oh yea and the rods I think he's talking about criss cross eachother in an x looking way

av6_sm1ke

Reaction score
Sorry I can't help with the trunk lock issues, but regarding the brake light..

Since your trunk is shaved, you don't need the center brake light assembly, which has 4 bulbs; 2 for the brakes and 2 for the reverse lights. Assuming the sockets are unplugged and have no bulbs plugged into them, the brake light will come on because the car thinks the bulbs are burnt out/missing. Easiest fix is to just plug in some bulbs and tuck the wires and sockets out of sight. That should take care of the brake light warning.

If you've already done that, disregard this post :p

fuq777

Reaction score
Ok, I will look at putting the bulbs hidden inside of the trunk....either that or remove the bulb out of the display in my dash...either way.

I am going to the junk yard and going to buy a new lock to see if maybe its just the lock is junk.

The springs under the rear deck are very tight. There isn't any bolts to take them out, it seems like they either have to pull them out of cut them out. I took the back speakers out so I had more room to bend them but no luck yet. Any assistance would be helpful of the springs!

98acclude

Reaction score
those bars are back there to help raise the trunk lid... so they have a load on them at all times you have to becareful taking them out so that they dont spring out and dominate your face.. lol I watched one of the guys at work do that... it's best to have a friend help. :D

fuq777

Reaction score
those bars are back there to help raise the trunk lid... so they have a load on them at all times you have to becareful taking them out so that they dont spring out and dominate your face.. lol I watched one of the guys at work do that... it's best to have a friend help. :D

Did they just take a screwdriver to the corner where the bar looks like it slides in? Short of taking a crow *sp* bar to it I have tried about as much man handling it a 230 lb man can do. However on a lighter note, when the trunk opens in its current state, the trunk does grab a lot of attention because it opens with balls. Its like a catapult in action! I am considering taking an object to see how far I can launch it before I take that spring out...just for fun :)

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
If you leave the stronger springs in which catapult the trunk, they can cause damage to the trunk, as they exert more pressure than intended on the carbon fiber areas.

Back