Weird overheatin problem.. needs help!!

99F23VTech

Reaction score
wow... water in for coolant bad... 50/50 good... ha ha... and i was going to be with Darkside with the fans but i wanna say its the thermostat now...

mrvtec

Reaction score
so i bought this 99 accord coupe couple months ago.
car was hit before i bought it, mechanic said problem was blown head gasket. it already got repair and everything but the shop that fixed it didnt fix it right, but the car runs fine and it over heats quick. the weird thing is that if i drive my car continuously on the free way. the heat meter would not rise, it would stay below middle. if i leave my car idle and not driving it anywhere. the meter would rise.. so sometimes when i stop at a red light for long time, i would have to park my car and step on the gas in order for the meter to not rise up.
has any1 ever experience this problem?
also it has a check engine light on

and last week my friend helped me install a cold air intake, after installation was done. my check engine was gone.
later that night i took the car n drove around, i was suprise that my meter did not rise as quickly, it felt like the over heatin problem just literally stop because i drove it aorund for a long time and with stops but the meter has never went pass above middle.

i was so happy and thought i solved the problem.. but couple days later my car sounded weird. so i pop the hood and my intake pipe was like only half way in( my friend did not tighten the tube all the way in and do it right so it fell out i guess) so i had to take it apart and redo it and have it all the way in completely.

later that night i drove it around and all sudden my check engine light went on.. then the over heating problem starts all over again.

anybody experience this problem?! please help.

does your cooling fan come on, i had a problem kind of like that, but once i replace my heat sensor my cooling fan started to work again and car was fine after that

f23accord2000

Reaction score
same problem with mine ,mine was doing it it was the thermostat man if you havent changed it yet change it up sounds like its getting stuck cloased just like mine

madmech_79

Reaction score
If you are getting a build up in the radiator, milky, coffee looking stuff it is very bad, check your oil to see if it milky also, you could have a cracked head or block also you said if you turned on the fan you could smell coolant. I assume your talking about the heater, that would be a bad heater core. Like everybody else said very hard to understand you. Hope this helps you out.

watson540

Reaction score
yes it's very obvious this poor kid has already blown their head[gasket], unless they bought it that way.

the milky white stuff you see under the oil cap (which is what he's referring to) means that you have water in your oil. You'll probably end up locking the motor up, if it hasn't already happened.

ps. - that was just stupid to let your "mechanic" just "cut" your thermostat out of your car. it would only mask the failing water pump until it totally failed, which isnt long. you need to find a real mechanic..thermostats are their for a reason, as is every other part of your now blown motor

Last edited:

4cc0rd

Reaction score
well its my first car.. and i dont really know much about cars. so i thought posting this forum would help me find a solution. cause i kept gettin diff answers of problems about my car. could be my radiator, could be my thermostat, blown head gasket, my fan. but what is really going on? cause i dont understand why it would over heat when i drive slow but wouldnt when i drive on the freeway? and the milky white stuff under my oil cap dissapear after i changed intake? i used to check on it and clean it out and after couple days it would appear again but this time it doesnt anymore.
also i was told by pooring coolant in and see it bubbles up means headgasket is blown but now when i poor it in..it doesnt bubbles up anymore?
but yeah i just recently put in water in like twice..im gonna buy coolant tomorrow or something. but thanks a lot thou guys, it really helped.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
You want a more reliable diagnoses. Take your car to the dealer.

Your fan turns on and off by its self. Even if ur fan didnt come on at all, ur car would most likely not reach the H level. It comes on to assist in cooling the car, but it doesnt play a major role in cooling. It usually comes on when ur idling and parked, because wind is usually forced onto the engine when ur moving.

Your intake has NOTHING to do with cooling ur engine, so stop trying to relate the two.

Choose a different mechanic that knows the logic behind a cars cooling system

All those things u listed that could be wrong is true. Start off by filling ur rad with coolant not water. Change ur thermostat first and see if that takes care of the problem.

If ur head-gasket was blown, ur car would be vaporizing coolant. a white-ish cloud would be coming out of ur tail-pipe like ur were trying to seed clouds for rain.

Last edited:

watson540

Reaction score
well its my first car.. and i dont really know much about cars. so i thought posting this forum would help me find a solution. cause i kept gettin diff answers of problems about my car. could be my radiator, could be my thermostat, blown head gasket, my fan. but what is really going on? cause i dont understand why it would over heat when i drive slow but wouldnt when i drive on the freeway? and the milky white stuff under my oil cap dissapear after i changed intake? i used to check on it and clean it out and after couple days it would appear again but this time it doesnt anymore.
also i was told by pooring coolant in and see it bubbles up means headgasket is blown but now when i poor it in..it doesnt bubbles up anymore?
but yeah i just recently put in water in like twice..im gonna buy coolant tomorrow or something. but thanks a lot thou guys, it really helped.

It's quite simple actually. Your car didn't overheat on the freeway because you had enough wind blowing through your radiotor to keep what little coolant you had, cool.

I've driven cars weeks with blown water pumps just by driving fast and accidentally running a few red lights. Not smart.

It's obvious you have a lot of reading to do about cars but if you want to keep this one, I would stop driving it NOW

The milky white stuff may have dissappeared because you ran the car outta oil, who knows. The intake has nothing to do with anything. The other guys were probably right to say you had a sticking thermostat (till some dumba** so called mechanic ripped it out) and it just happened to unstick after you installed the intake

Once you've seen the milky white stuff it's not gonna go away on it's own.

The cheapest way (and worst) way out of this may be to try some of that "stop leak" stuff, after you get your water pump replaced..Might as well do the T-belt while they're in there..DOn't let em charge you for labor on both though. Be prepared to pay a lot of money to fix the car right or junk it and start over.

And learn your lesson. If the car gets hot...STOP IT! and FIX IT. BEFORE you put on a friggin intake kit..geez

99F23VTech

Reaction score
+1 Watson...

He explained it well with the reason why it would over heat in slow city traffic compared to freeway driving...

I would start at the smallest thermostat its like a 10$ part at the parts store... very easy to do... if you want i will do a DIY for it tonight so you can see how it is done... (not that mine needs to be replaced but what the hell right)....

I wouldn't drive it much the way it is now... a car should not loose any coolant. it is all recycled through the engine.

Now running you car like you did with very little coolant will definetely cause a problem with the water pump which is a going to cost a bit to get repaired... and like it was said previously **Change the Timing Belt at the same time** this will save some headaches down the line and save some money so you are not paying for 2 labor costs when they can both be done under 1 labor cost...

Also you NEED to make sure you have a 50/50 mix of coolant and water... cars now days are not like your old 72 chevy with a 350 in it where you can just put water in the radiator and call it good... Its not good for cars...

I wish you the best of luck and def. get the thermostat put in ASAP...

Back