What color to paint these bad boys?

lowe

Reaction score
Powdercoat the entire wheel. Its worth the extra money you might have to spend. Repainting them/touching them up will be way too much hassle and will end up being more work for you in the short and long term. Example: I sanded down my OEM alloys and shot them with 3 coats of primer, 3 heavy coats of duplicolor white, and another 3 coats of duplicolor wheel clearcoat. 3 months later the edges have begun to chip, and the finish has become quite dull thanks to the foam brush I use on the wheels when I wash my car at the coin-op.

Price breakdown for material cost:
About $8 for sandpaper
$20 for 2 cans of wheel primer
$35 for 3 cans of duplicolor white (used 2.5 cans)
$35 for 3 cans of duplicolor wheel clear (used all)
=$100 and about 20 hours of labor to prep and paint, and they lasted me a few months before they started to wear.

Powdercoat will last longer/be more durable, and its probably faster to get them powdercoated than to prep and paint them. Btw, the price of 100 per wheel for powdercoating is probably because the shop is assuming they'll have to mix up the powder for a custom color. If you go with a more common finish like flat/gloss black, or if they have the color you want in stock, they can probably do it for around 50-60 a wheel. If they don't carry the color you want, you can probably get the price down to about 80 per wheel if you shop around and haggle a bit.

As far as color, gunmetal gray is a very neutral color and would work with silver very well. If you want a little color though, I'd suggest the magnesium blue that comes on some Volk wheels. I think that would look pretty nice on silver.

This is the mag blue I'm talking about:
GG_1DIII_0007.jpg

Awesome write up man. You made my decision for me. Now I'm debating to leave as is or coat them gunmetal ...hmm

Namboyz

Reaction score
honestly imo. if you buy stock honda wheels i think you should leave em stock looking. (of course some look dope painted) if you wanted some colored wheels your better off buying some other wheels.

but yeah powder coating will be more durable. but how long do ppl really keep the same wheels on thier car until they get tired of them and want something new. so it may waste your money a lil.

i say rock em for a while and if you believe that they will look better painted and worth the extra money then by all means do it up.

good luck=)

juicebox00

Reaction score
i spent $10 painting my wheels and no chips as of 1 month, paint still looks amazing. only used 2 cans of paint and 1 can of clear. didn't even get wheel paint, i got rustoleum all purpose paint. sanded down the rims w/ 400.(you can buy a sheet at do it center for $1) then used this special cleaning stuff/paint prep that we had lying around. then heated up the rim w/ a heat gun and put 1 light coat on, used that kind of as a primer. sanded that coat down w/ 400 and then wiped it clean with a damp rag. then put on 4-5 coats more and 3 coats of clear per wheel using the heat gun before and after each coat

SoCalAccord2000

Reaction score
Powdercoat the entire wheel. Its worth the extra money you might have to spend. Repainting them/touching them up will be way too much hassle and will end up being more work for you in the short and long term. Example: I sanded down my OEM alloys and shot them with 3 coats of primer, 3 heavy coats of duplicolor white, and another 3 coats of duplicolor wheel clearcoat. 3 months later the edges have begun to chip, and the finish has become quite dull thanks to the foam brush I use on the wheels when I wash my car at the coin-op.

Price breakdown for material cost:
About $8 for sandpaper
$20 for 2 cans of wheel primer
$35 for 3 cans of duplicolor white (used 2.5 cans)
$35 for 3 cans of duplicolor wheel clear (used all)
=$100 and about 20 hours of labor to prep and paint, and they lasted me a few months before they started to wear.

Powdercoat will last longer/be more durable, and its probably faster to get them powdercoated than to prep and paint them. Btw, the price of 100 per wheel for powdercoating is probably because the shop is assuming they'll have to mix up the powder for a custom color. If you go with a more common finish like flat/gloss black, or if they have the color you want in stock, they can probably do it for around 50-60 a wheel. If they don't carry the color you want, you can probably get the price down to about 80 per wheel if you shop around and haggle a bit.

As far as color, gunmetal gray is a very neutral color and would work with silver very well. If you want a little color though, I'd suggest the magnesium blue that comes on some Volk wheels. I think that would look pretty nice on silver.

This is the mag blue I'm talking about:
GG_1DIII_0007.jpg

i helped my bro paint his stock g35 rims gunmetal 3 primer 3 paint 3 clear coat its been like 5 months and the paint still looks wet, just make sure you do good prep work if you paint or it will chip. also those rims look like they will be a ***** to sand,but if you take your time do it right the first time it will look good.

toomtoomvroom

Reaction score
I've been down the same path, to powdercoat or to paint.

Powder coat
More expensive
More durable
Less selection of colors
No ability to touch up

Spray paint
Cheaper
Not as durable
More color selection
Able to do touch up if anything

I wouldn't recommend powdercoating stock wheels. It's really not worth it because you won't get your money back. If it was a set of after market work or volks then you'd get some of your money back. Whereas stock wheels only go for so much, if you spend the 400 to powdercoat them, you're not gonna be able to sell it for anymore.

Back