Whatcha think of this turbo header/downpipe

BoyRicer

Reaction score
Its a generic header/ downpipe i found on the ebay. Looks pretty legit everything looks like it should work with our cars (hangars, flanges, etc...). Cause im slowly piecing together my turbo setup and if this would work it would save me some time, money(possibly), and time getting frustrated with welding, plus the wastegate would be plumbed in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-TURBO-HEADER-DOWNPIPE-EXHAUST-98-02-ACCORD-2-3L-/390415365016?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5ae691b398&vxp=mtr

Any input will be greatly appreciated

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
OBX usually isn't bad at all. I would personally be weary buying that because of how specific it looks.

hotaccord243

Reaction score
It is legit, and not a bad deal. However, I would suggest staying away from OBX due to fitment issues, shot lifespan, and bad quality of the product.

My best suggestion is keep your eyes open for a separate brand, a used product that was custom done for someone else, or something along those lines. The way I think about is this, you buy an exhaust manifold/downpipe combo and that goes bad not only are you going to end up spending what you originally would on a better quality, but you skip the potential downtime you would have if and when something goes wrong.... But that's just my opinion.

I know your probably on a tighter budget, but I would suggest going higher quality on a turbo setup as you will be replacing them down the road if you go the cost effective route.

Im sure you've heard the phrase Cheap isn't reliable, and reliable isn't cheap, when you get into turbocharging a car....

BoyRicer

Reaction score
It is legit, and not a bad deal. However, I would suggest staying away from OBX due to fitment issues, shot lifespan, and bad quality of the product.

My best suggestion is keep your eyes open for a separate brand, a used product that was custom done for someone else, or something along those lines. The way I think about is this, you buy an exhaust manifold/downpipe combo and that goes bad not only are you going to end up spending what you originally would on a better quality, but you skip the potential downtime you would have if and when something goes wrong.... But that's just my opinion.

I know your probably on a tighter budget, but I would suggest going higher quality on a turbo setup as you will be replacing them down the road if you go the cost effective route.

Im sure you've heard the phrase Cheap isn't reliable, and reliable isn't cheap, when you get into turbocharging a car....

Heard that several times. But are you saying to go with fabricating my own or look around for a used one?

BoyRicer

Reaction score
Because id like to keep the stock exhaust from the cat back at least. Because im pretty sure the stock 2" is good to at most 300hp. Im only looking to make around 200-220 (about the same for torque)

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Because id like to keep the stock exhaust from the cat back at least. Because im pretty sure the stock 2" is good to at most 300hp. Im only looking to make around 200-220 (about the same for torque)
I generally you would fabricate it but keeping the cat and everything back stock is very restrictive.

hotaccord243

Reaction score
^ What he said. If you fabricate or buy one, typically they are going to be bigger than your 2" exhaust. Which will restrict your flow greatly.

I would suggest just fabricating your own, just go buy some mandrel bends, flanges, o2 bungs, etc and cut/weld it yourself, as it will be $300 tops for parts only and then your time to fabricate it, and then you can have a true 2.5"/3" exhaust. This way if you go for more power down the road you won't have to remake your exhaust again.

It follows along with doing it right the first time, and when you make further modifications down the road, you only did it once.

Let's face it, as soon as you have boost, the only thing going through your mind is how can I make more of it? Trust me. If you do it right the first time, less work down the road, and none of the modifying the already modified to go for more......

I bet you could have someone mod you an exhaust manifold, and turbo back exhaust for about $500. Why not spend the extra money?

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Its actually not as expensive or time consuming as you would imagine. Piping it very cheap and save for the manifold, they're very easy to make. Most of the connections under the hood don't even need to be welded, just use the rubber thingys (can't remember what they're called haha). As far as the exhaust like he said that will probably be 500+

akoutmos

Reaction score
I would stay away from this as the guys above me said. Making a down pipe, or getting one made for you isn't too bad. I made my own down pipe, and it is way better than anything you could buy off ebay and probably on par with what high end performance shops use. Stainless steel of the same grade is the same no matter where you get it from. If anything, i would recommend the STR manifold, and make ur own stuff.

LMAO that the bottom part of the down pipe is the same thing they use for their headers. Talk about re-usability.

BoyRicer

Reaction score
Its actually not as expensive or time consuming as you would imagine. Piping it very cheap and save for the manifold, they're very easy to make. Most of the connections under the hood don't even need to be welded, just use the rubber thingys (can't remember what they're called haha). As far as the exhaust like he said that will probably be 500+

a rubber coupler? are they good to those high temperatures?

also i bought russianreds old drag kit manifold. I know its only bleeding off boost from one but at the time i was thinking of using an internal wastegate. Now i changed my mind due to the ease of adjustability of external wastegates

Back