Will I get a check engine light if my engine has detonation?

ib042129

Reaction score
Okay, the knock sensor is there to detect detonation, but will it throw a code?
My car has an OBDI H22 engine with a chipped ecu. Would the OBDI ecu detect detonation and throw a code, or do I need to be running OBDII?

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
i dun think it's gonna throw a CEL... i'm in the same boat as u

F23A1AT

Reaction score
I'm not sure if all the obd1 systems use knock sensors. But if you were still running a stock engine, no there wouldn't be any CEL your ECM would compensate fuel and timing to remedy the detonation. That is assuming it is with the ECMs abilities.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
If it got bad and you are running an OBD2 setup with a knock sensor, then yes it would throw a knock code. If you are running OBD1 then those never used knock sensors, therefore it probably won't throw a knock/detonation code. The only OBD1 ECU that I know of that had knock sensor functionality is the P72. You would also obviously have to have a knock sensor installed.

Last edited:

nhoz22

Reaction score
Wtf? I thought op was jk! Noobie here so really dont have an idea bout detonators other than for bombs! :D

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

ib042129

Reaction score
If it got bad and you are running an OBD2 setup with a knock sensor, then yes it would throw a knock code. If you are running OBD1 then those never used knock sensors, therefore it probably won't throw a knock/detonation code. The only OBD1 ECU that I know of that had knock sensor functionality is the P72. You would also obviously have to have a knock sensor installed.

So I am hearing something that could just be a rattle, or it could the detonation. THe suspicious noise is only under load at low RPM so it could just be vibrations.
Also this is the first time I fueled the H22 with the low octane gas since I got the engine. I will fill up with premium next time.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
h22 is supposed to run on high octane.. tht's prob the reason for the knocking

2002CG3coupe

Reaction score
So I am hearing something that could just be a rattle, or it could the detonation. THe suspicious noise is only under load at low RPM so it could just be vibrations.
Also this is the first time I fueled the H22 with the low octane gas since I got the engine. I will fill up with premium next time.

Always use high octane I learn that the hard way thought I issues

h22 is supposed to run on high octane.. tht's prob the reason for the knocking

+1

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Use some higher octane and look up some youtube videos of what engine knock really sounds like. It usually happens even at idle, if you bring the RPMs up from 2,000-4,000.

Back