Winter storage

silverbullet99

Reaction score
hey I was just wondering if anyone puts their 6thgen (or other cars) away for the winter. I have a 99 EX that I use as my winter beater/dd and I just bought a 2000 LX over the summer that I use as my weekend car. The LX is rust free and I want to keep it that way, so I wont be driving it in the snow. Plus I'm ripping out the motor and tranny within the next few weeks to rebuild over the winter and they wont get put back in until april-may. Does anyone have any tips on winter storage? I was just going to pour some stabil in the tank, and put it up on jack stands for the next 5 months. Would that be enough? If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
dont store the tires (and some say, the battery) on concrete...otherwise you got it pretty well covered.

since the drivetrain is going to be out, you dont have to worry about starting/running it :lawl:

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
word, stack the wheels somewhere on their sides so that the tires wont get flat spots....but you probably already know that, haha.

as for the gas tank, id say try to get it as empty as you can, then when youre ready to start it back up again, put in a few gallons of some good gas.

sodaks2k

Reaction score
since the drivetrain is going to be out, you dont have to worry about starting/running it :lawl:

And driving it once you've started it. You're better off not starting it at all if you're just going to let it run and not drive it. Letting it run "idle" has no benefit, and is actually bad for it. Just like "warming up" your car for more than a minute is bad for it.

BigAnt

Reaction score
And driving it once you've started it. You're better off not starting it at all if you're just going to let it run and not drive it. Letting it run "idle" has no benefit, and is actually bad for it. Just like "warming up" your car for more than a minute is bad for it.

why is it bad to let the car warm up.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
i let my car idle in the winter all the time :lawl: gotta warm it up and stay warm :lawl:

idling for very long periods is bad...like cop cars...

sodaks2k

Reaction score
why is it bad to let the car warm up.

It puts uneccessary stress on parts.

i let my car idle in the winter all the time :lawl: gotta warm it up and stay warm :lawl:

idling for very long periods is bad...like cop cars...

I turn mine on, scrape the windows and drive away. The car warms up faster when you drive it. The damage is probably negligable really, but I'm a bit OCD when it comes to certain things. :hihi:

finch13

Reaction score
I'd drain the tank... all the way. Ethanol is your biggest enemy when it comes to storing gas over longer periods of time since it will eat through just about anything.

If all the important stuff is gonna be out, just store the battery indoors (so it won't discharge, freeze, then break the case), and then let the chassis sit on jackstands.

Millz

Reaction score
someone told me putting it on jackstands can be bad for the frame?

any truth to that or is a crock of sh1t?

like if the floors not even and it sits on jackstands for 2-3 months it might shift?
maybe they w ere just messing with me :lawl:

Back