Winter tires

MAR387

Reaction score
Hey all -

I'm planning on driving my 2001 Coupe, 5MT, this winter. Last year, we had some intense snow storms in NJ. I had a set of Eagle GT All Seasons on it, and quite frankly, the car sucked in terms of traction. I'm considering getting a set of winter tires to replace what's on the car right now.

What do you guys recommend? We usually get 5-10 snow storms with 3-4" of snow per season, so I want to be confident I can drive this car in snow if I get caught up in a situation.

I currently have 205/60/15s on it.

Thanks.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Do you have another set of wheels to switch to during the non-winter months? If not, you’ll want to find a good A/S.

If you’re just using your stocks for winter, I would just get a dedicated winter tire. Like Blizzak’s or similar.

Narftastic

Reaction score
i Just recently went to a tire shop and got new winter tires installed..the tread is ****in crazy thick im realli excited for snow so i can drive threw like a boss....i pretty much just told em to give me the cheapest winter tires they got which where like 66$ each.

if your lowered like me you would need to get a size lower like 205/55/15 since the tread is so think..thats what i did.

MAR387

Reaction score
Do you have another set of wheels to switch to during the non-winter months? If not, you’ll want to find a good A/S.

If you’re just using your stocks for winter, I would just get a dedicated winter tire. Like Blizzak’s or similar.

I have a 2011 Evo GSR that I will be driving more during the warmer months. It has less than 4k miles on it and I'm trying to spoil it as long as possible :).

In regards to the Accord, the Eagle GTs in the back are pretty much brand new whereas the ones in the front are almost done. So once the warmer months come back, I plan to buy 2 more eagle gts for the front and swap them with the winter tires.

The car is pretty much slammed on 205/60/15s. Was wondering if anyone had any experience going from an all season to a winter tire, and what their experience was?

This is what I'm looking at - http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?skipOver=true&width=205%2F&ratio=60&diameter=15.

MAR387

Reaction score
Read my post above ^^^

I appreciate your post but it doesn't seem like you've gone from an all season to a winter tire, and then drove the car in snow. I've driven this car for 6 years and I'm trying to see if it's worth me spending the money on a winter tire or not, or just deal with all seasons.

fastflyinaccord

Reaction score
Mike, I have Pirelli P4's for winter. I did fine last year with traction and everything. Go with blizzaks if you want winter tires but I say don't go overboard. Andy (from Clinton) and I both use all seasons in the winter and we're fine.

MAR387

Reaction score
Mike, I have Pirelli P4's for winter. I did fine last year with traction and everything. Go with blizzaks if you want winter tires but I say don't go overboard. Andy (from Clinton) and I both use all seasons in the winter and we're fine.

Thanks Steve. Nice to hear from you.

2002CG3coupe

Reaction score
When it comes to winters tire you want something that's tall(sidewalls) and lean(treading) warmer weather short(sidewalls) and fat(treading) for A/S or summer tires

Back