Wobbleing Steering wheel

Mr. HuMpY

Reaction score
so i got my tire rotated on monday.

so i get the car back the 45 min (im like wtf. why is taking so long). start driving it out the shop. and got the road to go home then i notice my steering wheel wobble like crazy and im only goin 30-35 mph. (left and right was goin up and down really fast). so i pull over to check the lug nuts was tight and it was. so i go back to the shop and told it that my steering wheel was loose/wobble. the tests it and said it starts to wobble at 70mph. (im like why in the fuk are you doing 70 mph on a 55 mph road.) then he was like ill balance the front two wheels. that didnt help at all now it even worse then before. now im thinking what the hell happen to my car ???

before i took it in it was perfectly fine no problems at all.

i was wondering if anyone can help me ??? if you need more info then ask.

Last edited:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Re: Wobbleing Steering wheels

I would change shops, go to another shop who cares about your car. Ask them why its doing that, explain your situation with the other shop and have them print out whats wrong.

You can check the torque on each nut if you wish, they probably didnt torque the lug nuts down properly.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

Wobbeling Steering wheels

Hmm.. Did I get ripped off or something? My car only came with one!!

:naughtyrun:

In all seriousness, the only thing I can think of is tie rod ends, and also your wheel could be off-center. Are you using centering acorn lugs or flat bottom lugs? I know that if flat ones are used on a wheel that needs acorn lugs, you have a serious problem with centering, and will ruin your wheels. Which shop did it?

Mr. HuMpY

Reaction score

yea i was thinking about doing that swaping shops but i never had a problem until they started hiring these little kid to work there.

i jack my car up and tighten all the lug nut myself.

looks like im going back to my old shop then.

thanks

finch13

Reaction score

If you got the tires rotated, there's probably a junk tire that was in the back, now in the front causing the steering feedback. Put the tires back where they were and you should be fine.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score

True, if tire wear was uneven before the tire rotation, and you had the rotation done, the unever tire is in a different place now and potentially, thus your issues. Another theory.

tothehouse34

Reaction score

Any half way decent shop is still going to balance your tires when they rotate them... if not, I would def swap shops! they probably knocked a weight off one of them or something, if it doesnt fix it demand them to throw it on their alignment rack! (since they caused it)

Good Luck!

finch13

Reaction score

There a lot of misleading info getting tossed around here...

Any half way decent shop is still going to balance your tires when they rotate them... if not, I would def swap shops! they probably knocked a weight off one of them or something, if it doesnt fix it demand them to throw it on their alignment rack! (since they caused it)

Good Luck!

Why on God's green earth would you balance a tire just to move it to another corner of the car. I've never heard of anyone doing such a thing, you balance a tire when you mount it. I don't think it's appropraite to point fingers at anyone yet, it's pretty hard to **** up an alignment.

True, if tire wear was uneven before the tire rotation, and you had the rotation done, the unever tire is in a different place now and potentially, thus your issues. Another theory.

The first step in any diagnosis of a problem is figuring out what was changed before and after the problem started. Here, it was tires being rotated. That automatically makes the tires the prime suspect.

A few clarifications:
- Tire wear does not typically cause vibration or alignment issues. Tire defects, sidewall bulges/bubbles, belt shifting, etc. can and do cause vibration issues that can sometimes be balanced out, but usually the tire needs replacing. Most tire manufacturers put a yellow, red or white dot on the sidewall indicating where the tire should be mounted in relation to the valve stem for balancing purposes. A lot of people don't know or don't care about it, but just about every time I've mounted a tire with the dot at the valve stem it's only required 0-1/2 oz. on each side.

- Alignment has nothing to do with vibrations. Nothing. Suspension component wear (ball joints, bushings, wheel bearings, etc.) can cause vibrations in addition to clunking and other noise. Alignment has everything to do with tire wear, keeping the car straight going down the road, and turning radius' and control.

- Cheap tires suck. Cheap tires are plagued with defects and inconsistencies because there is less concern for quality. Nexen tires are a prime example, I've never heard anyone say anything good about Nexen's and I've had a set where all 4 tires were junk. The Kumhos I used last summer had horrible belt shifting problems.

OP, swap the front tires to the back. You may want to do one at a time so you can pinpoint which tire it is. It's easy, it's free, and it will probably solve your problem. Do you have aftermarket wheels?

Last edited:

Mr. HuMpY

Reaction score

well the shop i went to is Cooper Tire service (yes the tire brand). there all way had the old people working there but now its just young kids working and i dont they know what they are doing back there.

well im all stock no aftermarket parts.

well someone told me that me axles or something may have some dirt in it but i dont think sand or dirt would make it wobble. but he told me to bring my car around the other shop to see what up.

finch13

Reaction score
Wow. Jackasses like that are what give mechanics a bad rap.

Worn CV joints (in the axles) cause clicking while turning (outer joint) or snapping/clunking when accelerating or braking (inner joint). The boots covering the joints have to tear open for them to get contaminated with dirt and grit, common problem, but unrelated to this.

Is the other shop a sister shop or something? I hope they aren't going to charge you again for a rotation. You can always ***** the original shop into rotating them back for free.

Back